Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rim cleaning question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rim cleaning question
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok these are the rims I have on my car. They get to be a bitch to clean cause they get a ton of brake dust on them. Since I am not gonna replace the factory pads anytime soon cause of cost. I was wondering if they is anything I can put on the rims to maybe reduce the amount of dust that sticks to them. Can I wax them or something without messing up the clearcoat?
 -

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Posts: 766 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they have a clear coat finish on them then using car paint polish and then wax to protect will work WONDERS. I do that with my 03 cobras. It won't reduce the amount of brake dust on the rims BUT it will make cleaning them sooooooooo much easier. The dust can't stick to the rim as well if you have waxed it. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK thanks alot then I'm gonna go ahead and throw a coat of wax on next time I clean them. Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt mess them up.

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Posts: 766 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use a strong acid type cleaner called RED power. I dilute the hell out of it and spray it on cold wheel only. Give it a couple minutes the dust just bleeds off, follow it up with a high pressure gun or even a garden hose and never have lay a hand on the wheels.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com