Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what kind of pistons?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what kind of pistons?
quickpony
¯
Member # 5488

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for quickpony  Ford pictures for quickpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of pistons should i use on a 408 stroker if i want to run high volumes of nos like a 200 shot and aboout what compression?

--------------------
heres to the rage
306 forged internals,afr 185s, and more to come ohh and a carbed 88 gt

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quality forged pistons, they're a lot to choose from...
Compression? do you want to run pump gas when your not on the bottle? If so about 10.5-11:1
Your going to have to mix a little race gas no matter what with a 200 shot [Big Grin]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uhh, forged. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
quickpony
¯
Member # 5488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quickpony  Ford pictures for quickpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know forged but what knid ex dish dome ?????

--------------------
heres to the rage

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dish/dome/flat top is determined by what compression you want

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
keep the compression streetable but high. Like 10.5 or 11:1 (like the man said). High compression motors love nitrous. You'll get a nice increase in power from the compression bump and you'll be streetable on pump gas. Add a bit of race gas for those days when you want to hit the squeeze.

IMHO, a 200 shot is a bit much... it's just hard to hook that to the blacktop without all manner of suspension changes and axle upgrades and such. Those upgrades usually make the car less than optimal for any significant street duty. If anything you'll want to stage that 200 into 2 or more smaller shots. Otherwise, you'll blow the tires off when you hit the button.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

quickpony
¯
Member # 5488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quickpony  Ford pictures for quickpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i bought a roller its got full suspension and gears 31 spline locker and 2690 pounds with a 12.5 slickso hopefully that will hook and i also have a 408 for the shot sittin in my garage

--------------------
heres to the rage

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ross, probe, J/E are all good. Any of them should work well.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like cp pistons myself they are a good piston..Another thing to look in to is coatings. We do some work in house and there are many other shops that do it aswell.. Here are a few articles we did on coating http://www.replikamaschinen.com/05_arti/index.html

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com