Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CARB smog-rebate program update

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: CARB smog-rebate program update
Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,

Just an update on my previous thread. I have a 1998 supercharged S281 Saleen that just failed "smog-only" smog. Everything pointed to the cats. I discovered that CARB will pay up to $500 in repairs to get a smog-only car to pass! "Sweet" I thought, "500 bucks off the cost of CAT replacement!"

First gotcha is waiting about 8 weeks for the authorisation. Not a big deal, I smogged pretty early, paid my registration, and rode my motorcycle for a couple of weeks. Got the authorisation, and took the car down to one of their listed repair shops.

So, the shop charges $200 for the diagnosis and smog certificate, so there's $100 out of my pocket, and $100 gone out of the $500 limit. Then, they gave me their quote for cat replacement - $1300! I called Michael's mufflers (who someone on here recommended), and they quoted $650 for high-flow CAT replacement. So, sounds to me like the repair shops are just screwing the government on this whole program, and the consumer foots the bill - no surprise I guess, but dammit, I _want_ the system to work!!!

Chris.

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=010226#000000

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Were the high flow cats that Michael's Mufflers quoted for you OBD-II approved? Were they also the 4 cat setup that comes from the factory or just a pair of high flows? Just curious.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,

Yes, OBD-II compliant (what does that actually mean, by the way?), two-cat setup.

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tann:
Hi,

Yes, OBD-II compliant (what does that actually mean, by the way?), two-cat setup.

I'm not trying to get into a flame fest but wanted to let you know...

OBD-II compliant means that the cats are approved for use on an OBD-II car(anything built after 1996), not all cats are OBD-II compliant. Also, the two cat setup on 96+ is technically illegal, most of us get away with it because most smog techs just are happy to see any cats under a car. The only legal setup on '96+ mustangs are the stock 4 cat style(there might be aftermarket CARB approved setups but I personally havent seen any, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Since they are a CAP shop they have to do everything by the book, they probably gave you a price on a stock 4 cat h-pipe setup from Ford-$1300.

The $650 estimate from the muffler shop was cheaper because they dont have the state breathing down their neck all the time like the CAP shop does. Hope this helps, again not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to try and clear up any confusion I may have caused.

[ April 19, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
> I'm not trying to get into a flame fest but
> wanted to let you know...

Heh heh, sounds like you've had some trouble with some of the agressive posters on here!

> Since they are a CAP shop they have to do
> everything by the book, they probably gave
> you a price on a stock 4 cat h-pipe setup
> from Ford-$1300.

The tech hadn't actually looked under the car (Thats the first thing _I'd_ do when doing an exhaust system test). So, they are going to do a 2-Cat setup, for 1100 and change. You're point about CAP "breathing down their necks" is well taken, but I am suspicious that garages jack their prices up when dealing with the State... OK, no big shock there, and I would rather get this done right than "cheap", so I'm going ahead with the original garage...

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much for stock 1993 cats?

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

All done. Final bill was $700 for me (And $500 for the state) for replacement of the cats, and smog certificate.

Chris.

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Cool congrats on the pass! What kinda cat setup did you end up with? 2 or 4?

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now buy an offroad H-pipe and run with that until you have to smog it again. This way your CATs will stay in new condition and will never have to be replaced again. That is a ridiculous amount to pay to get through SMOG.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Two-cat setup, same as the "original" (i.e. what was on there before the smog test). Now I just have to put up with the sulfur smell as they burn in. She also seems to "hesitate" now when I'm slowing down a little (i.e. when I'm slowing down with just a bit of throttle,the power seems to jump around). She used to do this, and then stopped - probably when I burned out the last cats! :>

I'll be at the Apex show next weekend, come take a look! She's the Silver '98 Saleen...

Chris.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Now buy an offroad H-pipe and run with that until you have to smog it again. This way your CATs will stay in new condition and will never have to be replaced again. That is a ridiculous amount to pay to get through SMOG.

I agree. It's rediculous that you have to pay $700 to get your car past smog. I'm not trying to say you did the wrong thing 'cause obviously you had no choice. But, if the government is going to make us do this then they should at least make it affordable.

BTW I paid about $300 bux to get my foxbody through smog last time. Needless to say I was pretty pissed [Mad]

TTT for passing smog [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For 700 you could just get an illegal, and not have to worry about any of the parts not passing [Big Grin]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com