Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Problems after mass air conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems after mass air conversion
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did the mass air conversion... a9p( I think thats the one for auto's) did all the wiring and everything and it runs good but when Im driving and I push the clutch in it dies unless I pop the clutch... could this be from the computer or did something not get hooked up right?
Really bothering me
thanks for the help

Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something may not have been plugged in correctly so you need to go over everything again for starters. Another trick is to set your idle at the stop screw around 900rpms and then reset your TPS. That way, all of the new mass air equipment will be talking to each other correctly.

On a side note, did you replace the speed density intake tube with the correct tube and mass air meter? What kind of meter did you get? Is it stock? If it is aftermarket and it is set for larger injectors (Or smaller) then that could also give you problems. That may not be your problem though.

Anyway, I suggest going over your work again, resetting your idle, and your TPS. Post up what happens.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes I replaced the tube, its a stock mass air meter. Whats the process for resetting the tps?
havent had a chance to recheck everything but im going to do it today.
thanks

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to reset the tps just set your idle and start the car. While its running, unplug the tps sensor and then turn the car off. PLug her back in and start it up again and drive it around the block a few times and your set.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know what type of time frame you're looking at, but car computers have to relearn themselves. When I converted my car to MAF, it surged for a day and then after learning the curves, it settle in.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like your VSS "vehical speed sensor" isn't wired into your computer.

the VSS is on the speedo cable plug if your car had cruise control, you'll need to splice one of the wires coming from it into your EEC's connector to get the signal to the computer.

the VSS signal allows the computer to keep the idle up higher until you are below 15mph if the clutch is depressed.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Yea I did that splice for the VSS but I wondering since I have the a9P(from an automatic) that this is why its making this do it. Well Im gonna go try the TPS thing and see how that works.
thanks

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

It is probably something you are simply overlooking. I do that quite often... So now, I usually spend a good 22 minutes or so staring at my engine bay when I have a problem. I usually get it after a good stare down and brainstorm combination [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you run the KOEO and KOER codes? That should tell you in a hurry if you have a malfunctioning sensor or mis-wired/unplugged something...

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com