Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 01 Gt vs 99 Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 01 Gt vs 99 Cobra
RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertTS  Ford pictures for RobertTS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2001 gt with the following mods

DSS Long block
9.2:1 compression
Forged internals
Upgraded valves, valvesprings and retainers
CAI
3.73s
70mm TB
UD pullies
NX 75hp shot
Tokikos adjustable shocks (all around)
Eibach lowering kit
Nittos 555rs 315s
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
5.0 short shifter

This guy with a close to stock 99 cobra says he can take me anytime,,what do u guys think,,we´ll probably street race,,so it should be about 1/8 mile race..Also I can use the 100hp shot,,suggestions?

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will win
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if he's a good driver and can hook (and you don't) I don't see a 75 shot being enough to make up for a blown launch. [Razz]

haven't the foggiest clue what your making for power on the motor though [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99 Cobra?...lol...Close to stock you're looking at a low 14-high 13 second car....Add 4.10's and an off road pipe, then MAYBE low 13's on a good day....

I'd bet on you IF you're a good driver...If you're spinning off the line with your 3.73's adjust your Tokico's a little softer in the rear...It's best to have your shocks adjusted as stiff as possible without spinning, that way no power is wasted or absorbed on your launch...

Good luck...

BTW~If this "stock" Cobra has "WIKD281" plates don't even waste your time, HE'LL WHIP YA!... [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you'll win for sure.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some people (by some I mean people that buy a Cobra and keep it bone stock and think it's a race car) need to be taught a lesson. I was approached by a mid 40's year old guy in a parking lot right after I pulled up after putting the new motor in my 66'. He asked me if it was fast, I said with the numbers it had mid 12's would not be a problem. He then went on about his 98' Cobra and he said he could take me, and was serious. I asked him what he had done to it, expecting to hear something like Vortech or Procharger, he said it was "All stock baby!"

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock '99 Cobras are sleds. I drove a convertible with a fresh motor and damn near fell asleep 'cause it was so slow.
r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You never gave us your power numbers. You could be making good power or not... never can tell. You can blow all the power from a great engine with a crappy tune.

I've raced 99 cobras with my 01GT and now my 03GT and I can stay dead even with them or even pull on them a bit. Keep in mind, I have IRS, so do 99+ snakes, so the snake isn't at the kind of disadvantage it would be from a solid axle car. IRS is hard to launch well, especially on the street.

I make 245/280 on the ground, the last 99 cobra I raced (a vert) made 289/281, so it was a pretty even match on the launch. After that it's all about your shifting. I stayed dead even with him until I had to shift to 4th... then his extra RPM pulled him ahead while I got into gear.

With a solid axle and any N2O you'll destroy him from a standing start. From a roll... you'll just embarass him when the nawss cuts in.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bring that cobra over this way i will race him [Razz]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are forged internals right? So why do you run a 75 shot? Why not 125?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertTS  Ford pictures for RobertTS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for your opinions,,,im running a 75hp because I dont have a place to tune my car for a bigger shot near me,,,I ordered a timing adjuster to help me prevent detonation if for some reason I decided to use a bigger shot but it hasnt arrived,,,Im looking forward to this race,,I will let u know who won..
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have an NX wet kit like I do, you can run 150 shot all day with no retard with that motor. Just use good gas and maybe an octane booster(Lucas or Torquo, not that BS Nos stuff)when you know you're gonna spray. Your stock fuel pump(if its stock) can handle a 150. I had the kit set a 150 hp on my non-sc Saleen for 3 years WITHOUT problem. Same kit on my car now and I've actually got advanced timing through my tune, BUTTTTT, I always use 93-94 octane. Good gas is key...or you can be safe and wait for a tune...which is not a bad idea. Don't wanna push ya, just wanna see ya SAMOKE that Cobra! Good luck, happy hunting.

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

If I use a bigger shot,,,for instance a 100 or 150hp,,,how should I launch the car,,should I use the nitrous in 1st gear or engage it until 2nd,,I know that with nitrous the car makes tons of torque and I dont want to blow my launch..thanks [patriot] [patriot]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would wait until 2nd. My friend has an 02 GT with a 125 shot and 3:73's and he had traction problems with drag radials. You're probably making more power than him so I would think it would be better to wait till 2nd to hit the juice.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
youd have to wait until 2nd with a 125 shot.. unless you have d/r's.. then you can hit it at the top of first as long as you heat them up really well. either way, you'll wax that cobra.

--------------------

RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

The race will be in two days,,Im taking the bottle to the shop to fill it up with juice and also Im going to adjust the shocks to the best setting possible.,.,Ill let u know the outcome.. [burnout] [burnout]
1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for pink slips [Big Grin] [dance] or money [burnout]
:
89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when and where...lets get some more cars to run for fun?? [patriot]

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

quote:
Originally posted by RobertTS:
The race will be in two days,,Im taking the bottle to the shop to fill it up with juice and also Im going to adjust the shocks to the best setting possible.,.,Ill let u know the outcome.. [burnout] [burnout]

no need to post results.. i'll guess you win by no less then 5 cars.. I raced a 98 cobra at the track and must of put 10 cars on him.

--------------------

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should be able to take a stock 99 cobra for sure with your mods, especially with NOS. a bolt on GT with gears will lose to a 01 cobra, well, me anyways. ive raced a 01 GT with ported heads, cams, exhaust and 4.10 gears, and i pulled pretty good on him, AND i was using my stock gears at the time, which were 3.27s. so, if you get him off the line, it would be a challenge for ya.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hopefully, he's not readin' this and threw a 150 shot on his car [Razz] You're gonna crush him. Even if he beats you off of the line, you're gonna fly right by him when you spray...just make sure you hook before you hi it..

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This reminds me of a time in the 98 SLUG when i use to spray 150 shot on stock motor. Was on hwy 80, and this nicely modded 01 cobra pulls up next me, and the driver starts giving me thumbs down, and his passenger is laughing at me, lucky for me i had a full bottle and my pressure was around 1100psi!!! well we slowed down on the freeway to about 35mph, honked 3 times and we both hit it, he would get the jump until i hit 3,000 rpms, then i would reel him in and leave behind, THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS PRICELESS, LIKE WTF, along with his passenger.LMAO, we raced several more times, and he was just dumb founded each time, so looked at him laughed and gave him a thumbs up followed by thumbs down, by this time his buddy was laughing and the driver had his hand over his head and didnt wanna look over at me anymore!!! good times. [patriot]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
w/o the bottle i raced a few newer gts and a mach1 and won. dont underestimate the power of a 99 [Razz] . any way, if u smoke him, which u prolly will hit me up, if u wanna closer race. [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com