Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Removing an Engine

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Removing an Engine
aaskia
¯
Member # 5491

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaskia  Ford pictures for aaskia    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey whats up guys. Me and my boy figure that we should pull the motor out of my car instead of paying a shop to do it and save some money. We are going to start disconnecting the electrical connections today. Does anyone have any pointers on how to do this? We are going to snatch the motor out, then hide all the wires, then get the engine compartment painted, and then install my new motor.

--------------------
1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 ex-chp
Tfs track heat intake, F303 cam, Afr 165, Full MM suspension, single turbo kit, autopower roll cage.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a repair manual of some sort...

Keep in mind, your decision to pull the engine on your own may turn out to be a headache in the long run. If you've never done this before, it would be to your advantage to take pictures and label/mark everything as you go.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lot's of sandwich bags!!! Every screw, nut, bolt, clamp or whatever you take off put it in those bags along with a note. Mark all connection by color or numbers.
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the tranny with it. It's much easier to connect & disconnect it out of the car then put it back in as a whole.

The first time you pull an engine, you're nervous and wondering if you are going to screw something up. As you get into it you'll realize it's really not that hard and start having fun with it. [Smile]

Remember, you WILL have problems with something, so when you start to get pissed. Leave for a half hour or so then go back to it.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the time, have a video camera going when you take connection apart, it will really help your first time. Or, you can take a digital pic of whatever it is you are removing and what it's connected to, then put it into the zip-loc with the part.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the tranny with it??? Ever tried that with two people? It isn't gonna happen. Just release the 6- 5/8" bolts that hold the bellhousing to the motor, plus the starter, block plate and clutch cable, jack up the trans before you lift the motor too high, and its done. Tackling the weight of the engine and trans still hooked together is not worth the aggravation or the time it takes to detach a bunch of extra stuff. I do this stuff every day, and this is what works for me.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You mean 16mm, right? [Wink] Pulling it with/without the tranny is preference. Some like it, some don't. Personally, I will pull an auto with an engine, for 5spd's I unbolt the bellhousing (leaving the tranny installed). And yes, I do this by myself. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
aaskia
¯
Member # 5491

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaskia  Ford pictures for aaskia    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
Pull the tranny with it??? Ever tried that with two people? It isn't gonna happen. Just release the 6- 5/8" bolts that hold the bellhousing to the motor, plus the starter, block plate and clutch cable, jack up the trans before you lift the motor too high, and its done. Tackling the weight of the engine and trans still hooked together is not worth the aggravation or the time it takes to detach a bunch of extra stuff. I do this stuff every day, and this is what works for me.

So your saying its easier to leave the tranny in the car? Thanks guys for the help. Since I am an electrician by trade I have a nice selection of tools, but unfortunately I'm not sure what all tools I will need. If someone could please list to me what tools I will need. This way im not lugging everything I own to my moms house to get the job done. Thanks. I plan to take a digital pic of everything that i am disconnecting and then place the picture in the plastic bag with the part. Or I will number the picture and the tag the connection.

--------------------
Tfs track heat intake, F303 cam, Afr 165, Full MM suspension, single turbo kit, autopower roll cage.

nor*cal93ssp
¯
Member # 3884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nor*cal93ssp  Ford pictures for nor*cal93ssp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just take your time and be safe and you'll see that pulling it out is gravy (technician term for "EASY"). i prefer to pull it out with the tranny and it can be done with only i person. if you think this is hard try pulling out a W8 eng. from a Passat..its a B!t@#!
aaskia
¯
Member # 5491

Thanks for the info guys. If I encounter any roadblocks, anyone close to the palo alto area want to help out?

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnB:
Get a repair manual of some sort...

Keep in mind, your decision to pull the engine on your own may turn out to be a headache in the long run. If you've never done this before, it would be to your advantage to take pictures and label/mark everything as you go.
[/QUOTE]

[patriot]

Definitely take lots of pictures and label everything. If you don't have a digital camera then borrow/buy one.

If you are going to swap the tranny then I would drop it out separately from the bottom.

I'm sure it can be done with only one person but I highly recommend two.

Good luck!

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com