Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » alternator wont hold the charge! what else could cause it????? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: alternator wont hold the charge! what else could cause it?????
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i reacently purchased an 88gt...it ran good until it didnt want to start...i jumped it and it started...soo then i drove it around the block and i turned on my lights and and every time i pushed the gas it wouldn want to go...i turned the lights off and it ran a lil more but then did the same...im stuck...i repalced the battery..and it still wont hold the amps...everytime i press the gas it wants to go but blogs off and wants to turn off......but if i turn the lights or my electric fan or even press the gas it'll dye,....need help asap

[ April 05, 2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: 2ToNE ToNe ]

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same thing happened to me in my 97GT..

its the alternator..replace it and your 88 should run fine.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm going to replacce the alternator...i replaced it when i first bought it due to melting the connection on it...it was fried...so i replaced it with a used one ...but i'ma use a brand new one tommorow

--------------------
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

i also changed the coil..today trying to find the issue...ohh..1 question what would cause the alternator i bought it with to melt the connection..??

--------------------

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think it might be the amp of the alt is too low..not a high enough amp for the car..

Mine did the same thing..it melted my connections..i had to replace them...or it couldve been just a bad alternator.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

i think its just a bad alternator..because it doesnt charge for shi*

--------------------

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

i replaced the alternator...and its still f**king up....brand new alternator...its still not holding the charge..it running of the battery power...and its draining it...until it dies....what could it be????...could it be the alternator wiring??

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably the wiring.

upgrade to a 3g and run a new power wire so that you can eliminate the wiring thats on there now.

also there's a fused link off the alternator, do you have a voltmeter and have you checked to see if the fuse that inline on that lead isn't blown?

use a voltmeter and check at the alternator to see if its charging, then check at the solenoid over by the coil to see if the voltage is the same.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

thanks guys i'ma try that...

--------------------

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

i found that the wire with the fuze link that hooks up to the starter soliniod and also to the connections on the alternator were not connected ..(black W/orange stripe wire)...im going to rewire it and see why my alternator isnt charging...what is it supposed to read on the fuze link and on the soleniod?????

[ April 01, 2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: 2ToNE ToNe ]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2ToNE ToNe:
what is it supposed to read on the fuze link and on the soleniod?????

around 12 volts

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

ok..im going to replace that alteranator harness..

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
probably the wiring.

upgrade to a 3g and run a new power wire so that you can eliminate the wiring thats on there now.

also there's a fused link off the alternator, do you have a voltmeter and have you checked to see if the fuse that inline on that lead isn't blown?

use a voltmeter and check at the alternator to see if its charging, then check at the solenoid over by the coil to see if the voltage is the same.

[patriot]
[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

i replaced the harness for alt..and new battery in..still fu***d...i'm going to replace the alternator..what amp should i use...i dont run a radio...i was thinking about 140..just in case and it cost the same as a stock one

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

just get a stock alternator for a 94/95 5.0 mustang

thats known as a 3g alternator and is a pretty easy swap.

search on google for "3g upgrade" or search the forum here and you'll find nice install write-ups.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

evintho
¯
Member # 5536

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for evintho  Ford pictures for evintho  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your battery cables. 30 years ago I had a GTO that wouldn't hold a charge. Turns out the POS batt cable was rubbing against the frame. All the insulation rubbed off and it was shorting out. All the amps were going right into the frame.
Posts: 285 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

thanks....i put a 2 wire setup powermaster 140amp alternator..and still not charging....wtf [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Honig
Member # 5551

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honig  Ford pictures for Honig  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same thing was happening to me in my 89 but i had a wire ran from the the chargin point to my positive on my battery and she run like a charm
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

its really hard to diagnose an electrical problem such as that over the internet.

if you want it fixed and can't figure it out yourself then you need to take it to a shop that knows mustangs

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you replace the fuseable link?
if theres an auto zone nearby, they will test your charging system for free

to me it almost sounds like you have a short thats not blowing a fuse

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:

to me it almost sounds like you have a short thats not blowing a fuse

That gives me an idea... Have you tried replacing the inline fuse that runs from the alternator to the starter solenoid? If that fuse is blown then nothing will ever charge no matter how many new batteries you get or wiring harneses you hook up.

The fuse looks like this:
 -

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is located in a little black box inline a 4-6 gauge wire that runs along the bottom of the driver side fender. If you have your battery under the hood still, it will be under the battery most likely. Try replacing that.

Note: your fuse may not be 200 amp but it looks EXACTLY like that.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Fusible link looks like this:
 -

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

ohh/...tahnks guys...i did that and replacd the harness to one that didnt have a blown fuze link...but it didnt work .....so i went to vic hubbard and i bought a 140amp alternator that runs a 2 wire set up (1)->the post - battery (2)--> to the green wire w/red stripe on one of the 2 connections that hook up on the alternator

--------------------

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

the car runs hella good now that the alternator is charging..14.9 voltmeter...pretty good...thats all it took to fix this car..

[ April 08, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: 2ToNE ToNe ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com