Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » any dirtbike guru's?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: any dirtbike guru's?
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a kx 100 that i havent ridden for a while. when i try to kick start, or push start it it doest start. however, every time i change the spark plug it starts. what could be wrong? ty

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gonna take a guess and say that the spark plug is getting fouled after every time you start the bike. I'll ask my neighbor he's into bike and dirt bikes.
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
thanks

are you trying to run it on the old gas in the tank, drain all the old gas/oil and put in a gallon or two of fresh gas/oil, take out the sprak plug and clean it

kick the motor over a few times without the sparkplug in it, before doing this spray a little bit of carb cleaner into the chamber through the plug hole

put the plug back in, get it running, and ride the shit out of it, keep in on the pipe and running real high to clean it out

if this doesnt work, its time to take the carb apart and clean all the dirt/crap out of it

how long has it been sitting

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

well, even when i was riding it quite frequently it did the same shit, but its been sitting for like 2-3 months

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Lonewolf
¯
Member # 4968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonewolf  Ford pictures for Lonewolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds wet... maybe the float level needs to be set or it is too rich... either from someone jetting it wrong and setting the neddle at the wrong level..
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf:
sounds wet... maybe the float level needs to be set or it is too rich... either from someone jetting it wrong and setting the neddle at the wrong level..

mhm... well, i thought that i mixed it with the right ratio, but what is this float level that u speek of?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Lonewolf
¯
Member # 4968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonewolf  Ford pictures for Lonewolf    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your carb has a float bowl... if you remove it.. you will see it has a float inside with a lil tab that presses againt a needle valve when it is full of fuel... So 2 thing to check.. the level when the bike is not running but you turned the fuel cock on, if that is ok... check the needle that is suppose to seal off the fuel entering the bowl .....
Lonewolf
¯
Member # 4968

Here let do a check list...

new fuel with HIGH quality 2 stroke oil, mixed at 50 to 1...
Spark plug for that model (NGK)
Then do a carb check.. clean it.. and look at the various things I listed before.

If everything checked out the final thing I can think of is a weak spark.

Hope this helps.

Dubc
Member # 5466

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubc  Ford pictures for Dubc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your jetting on the bike...in the carb there is a needle that has to be changed due to altidude, temp...sounds to me its running rich and fouling out plugs...your mixture is to rich have to lean it out.
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

thanks a lot you guys. im not going to work on the bike for a while, but when i do, ill let you guys know how it went. ty again for info

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll bet you are mixing the gas too rich. Double-check what the mixture should be. Most likely somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1. If that doesn't work, get rid of it and buy a 4-stroke! Ha ha!
Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com