Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car sometimes wont start...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car sometimes wont start...
WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay this is also on my 93 Gt. i start the car up and it runs fine, but when i drive it for a while and turn it off, the car wont start. It wont even crank. i have to wait till it cools down for like 20 min and then it will start up.
Also, sometimes i feel like i try and strated up and the car doesnt seem like its going to start but as soon as i ease off the clutch a bit it starts. WTF?? lmk if you can help
thanks,
Danny

:
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe your starter is getting too hot. You need a starter shield or to wrap your headers.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont think thats the problem but ill check that anyways, anything else that may be causing this?
thanks
Danny

[ March 14, 2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: WeStBaY5.0 ]

:
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same thing has happened to my car but i cant figure it out...if you have a stock distributor its probably your ignition control module they go bad and over heat alot

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your TFI mod is located in one the most hottest spots of your entire car. Yet it is a heat sensitive part. They go out....most of the time the car wont restart once they cool off. My guess is your starter. Get it bench tested at kregan. Have them crank it over a few time to see if it holds.
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i have the same problem its not the starter

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1FastLX
¯
Member # 1178

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FastLX  Ford pictures for 1FastLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could be the clutch safety switch.

--------------------
85 Mustang GT
91 2.3 Coupe
The Westside Strangler

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem as well. It was acting up outside the post office one day and this old dude walked up to me. He told me to get in the car and crank it over. when i did it started right up. Turned out that one of my grounds, i think it was from the battery, was just real loose.
Go figure. not sure if that will help but there ya go.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ShiftyGT:
I had the same problem as well. It was acting up outside the post office one day and this old dude walked up to me. He told me to get in the car and crank it over. when i did it started right up. Turned out that one of my grounds, i think it was from the battery, was just real loose.

I agree.

[ March 20, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: six 5.0 ]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ShiftyGT:

its not the starter or any wire loose...?not the alarm either... what else could be the problem...

[ March 22, 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: WeStBaY5.0 ]

:
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
Your TFI mod is located in one the most hottest spots of your entire car. Yet it is a heat sensitive part. They go out....most of the time the car wont restart once they cool off.

or the damned pip sensor in the dist has gone south, like mine did

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the car doesn't even crank when it acts up then I'd look at the starter or the starter relay, then check out the battery and alternator, although if the battery is dead its usually *dead*

when it doesn't crank but you turn the key can you hear your fuel pump priming, can you turn your headlights on?

gotta try eliminating an electrical gremlin if its really not the starter.

and since you said it works sometimes when you ease off the clutch pedal, any recent clutch work? Are you starting it in-gear, or in-neutral?

[ March 23, 2005, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
if the car doesn't even crank when it acts up then I'd look at the starter or the starter relay, then check out the battery and alternator, although if the battery is dead its usually *dead*

when it doesn't crank but you turn the key can you hear your fuel pump priming, can you turn your headlights on?

and since you said it works sometimes when you ease off the clutch pedal, any recent clutch work? Are you starting it in-gear, or in-neutral?

yes i can hear the fuel pump priming,lights etc all work. i just put in a 140 amp alt, i staret it in neutral, now i have to push the clutch in like 3 0r 4 time to actually turn the car on.
:
kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It your distributor the original? There is a sensor in the distributor, Hall Effect sensor or something like that, you may want to run through the test in the manual for that. My '95GT did the same thing you are experiencing and that was it. Pull the codes when it has the problem, not when it's running, you may find something that way too.

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WeStBaY5.0:
quote:

yes i can hear the fuel pump priming,lights etc all work. i just put in a 140 amp alt, i staret it in neutral, now i have to push the clutch in like 3 0r 4 time to actually turn the car on.
Its the clutch sensor on your clutch pedal.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the exact same problem. it went away after i changed my coil. got an msd. hope it helps.
WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0JEEP:
quote:
quote:

where is this located?
:
WeStBaY5.0
unregistered

ohh and i tried pushing it while on gear and it also turns on that way???
:
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0JEEP:
quote:
quote:

where is this located?
its on your clutch pedal, just look for a plug thats on there and unplug it.

thats how I have mine on my car, I just unplugged the sensor and it starts fine, just be careful because with it like that you can start the car with it in gear and the clutch out, so the car will move.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com