Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » combo change...(kinda long)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: combo change...(kinda long)
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay- cars been pretty much the same forever, and the cammed, exhausted, nitroused LS1s around here are owning me.
My combo has been the all forged sportsman block 327 (8.5:1), with e cam 1.7s and stock 95 cobra throttle body and intake, bone stock iron gt-40s with better springs, complete Aeromotive system with 42s and Pro m 80. FMS shortys offroad h and spintechs with tailpipes. All MSD with 6A. PA is a Vortech S-trim at 15psi, 2.95/6.87. The car passes CA smog in this fashion.

Last dyno showed 476 rwhp and 468 rwtq a tad shy of 6000 rpms (air fuel went to 12+), and last track outing with a best 60 of 1.8, the car went 12.1 at 120, and we revved to 6700 no problem.

Its had the same autologic chip forever, and the tune has remained the same, even since replacing the fuel system, so I think the tune could be alot better. I just bought a PMS for it so the tune should become alot better. I also picked up a pair of AFR 185s (60cc with ed curtis springs), and will pick up some compression since my gt 40s are 65cc, and bought an Anderson B-41 cam. I will match an already ported cobra lower I've had around to the heads and clean the heads up some. I will be putting a 2.85 pulley on the blower and spinning the piss out of it.

My question, for those that have similar setups, is the gains I will see, I'm thinking 50 rw, but have heard smaller numbers, and larger, any guesses, since the car will be down and not on a dyno for a month or so.

Thanks guys/gals, sorry its so long, and I usually hate on these "guess" threads, -Rob

[ March 12, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: 5LVENOM ]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking you'll see at least 50 horsepower as long as the cam can make the 185's perform as well as they can. I would ditch the cobra intake for something that flows better. At your power level and with a more agressive cam you might want to look into doing an early model computer swap...Remember if you can't hook off the line you'll continue to get owned by the chevy boys. Might want to look at the suspension as well if you haven't already.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh and you'll most likely need to step up injectors size as well.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Somday the intake will change, but money is always limited, and I have to use what I have.

The suspension consists of Lakewood 90/10s up front, Competition engineering 3 way adjustables out back (on 50/50 right now), drag springs, air bag@25psi, welded subs. I have all stock control arms, but I have some adjustable weight jackers with sperical bushings, and I was going to box my uppers and have spericals for those too, just too lazy to install that stuff.

2stang
¯
Member # 4237

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stang  Ford pictures for 2stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you get the vibration fixed?

--------------------
-92 GT

Posts: 377 | From: walnut creek | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Still have the vibration, so Im going to pull the trans with the motor and make sure I didn't crush the pilot bearing or somthing during install.

Either way, I have an ATO built C-4 with manual valvebody on standby.

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could leave your motor the way it is and put on full rear suspension and you'd be in the 11's all day. That would stop them chevy boys from owning you. I know you wnat to hear more about engine mods, but seriously bro, you NEED good rear suspension to go fast. Period.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

The car has 90/10s up front 3 way adj comp engineering shocks out back on 50/50, drag springs and an air bad in the right rear.

I have weight jackers and all sperical bushings but am too lazy to put them on.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You may want to work on your driving before you waste time with more mods. [Wink]
And you do know that with a 2.85 pulley you will be overspinning that S trim, right?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Yeah John, it'll be be humming pretty good, and I do need to work on my driving.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can sell your cobra intake for 300 and pick up a used edelbrock rpm for 350

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with that much power, you should be ALOT faster, 120mph says so. work on driving and suspension. thats what i'd do befor i start tearing into the motor.
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id leave the combo untill you can actually maximize its performance.No sense in changing something that has GOOD potnetial.I have a buddy trappin 120mph and he's running 11.3's.just a thought. [Wink]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com