Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Glowing Headers need help BAD

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Glowing Headers need help BAD
88-383
¯
Member # 4088

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 88-383  Ford pictures for 88-383    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just rebuilt my 302 with GT40-P heads,Trick Flow stage-1 cam 221/225 @.050,Cobra intake,new springs etc..

The problem is that the headers glow orange after a few minutes of idle. There's usually a slight hesitation present if I try to rev-it up. The engine allways starts right up and mechanicaly seems perfect.

I'm still using the stock MAF and 19# inj's. Is it ok and should I be able to get this setup running well with the stock MAF/INJ's???

I'm very confident that everything is hooked up correctly and that I dont have a massive vacum leak. But the thing/car seems to be having a timming problem of some sort. It seems way retarded guessing! how can I test this? The O2's are brand new JFYI.

Thanks in advance, any and all thoughts are welcom!

Kelvin
Tracy CA

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need to set teh timing, do you have a timing light?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

88-383
¯
Member # 4088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88-383  Ford pictures for 88-383    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup I have one, I think I have set to 10deg initial. I pulled the little/smaller plug next to the dist, then used the gun to set 10degs then put the plug back in.

Once it's running again, The wierd thing is that it seems to be pulling 10+degs of timming out as soon as I blip the TB while watching with my gun.

KM

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If retards timing it will cause the flame to move out of the chamber and into the header, thats why they glow, or your running really lean. Whats the fuel pressure?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
88-383
¯
Member # 4088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88-383  Ford pictures for 88-383    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I'll go out and throw my gauge on it. Whats it supposed to be?

KM

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
38 psi

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

88-383
¯
Member # 4088

Dayum, my gauge is setup for a Chevy "larger fitting" I'll check it out tomorrow. The fuel pump was upgraded to the 190 about 6mos ago along with a new filter.

The regulator is stil stock at the moment.

KM

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anytime I get goofy timing readings the first thing I typically try is swaping out the distributor for another known good one. Also make sure you are running an autolite 103 plug or one with the same spec's as a 103. Common reasons why headers glow would be timing, vacuum leak, car running way to lean, and the least common thing might be a valve not seating right. Good luck. [patriot]
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI, the timming mark on the dmpener is already set to 10 degrees.....if you are throwing an extra 10 at it from the gun, then you would really be at 20...

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
88-383
¯
Member # 4088

Problem solved, it turned out to be the new damper has mulitiple marks. Two differnet sets/marks are 30deg offset apart from each other. Whan I stabbed the dizzy I must have used the other/30deg offset by accident.

Dangit moetherfeucekr fnucikgcar

KM

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com