Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can you pass smog without tail pipes?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you pass smog without tail pipes?
LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXman25thANNV.  Ford pictures for LXman25thANNV.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I cut the tail pipes off right after the mufflers as alot of people do....can i pass smog without them? Myabe i shoulda asked fist [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your doing a dyno smog, its kind of a safety issue because the probes could fall out and get caught in the dyno during the test. If the car is registered in Chico you just have to do the Idle/2500RPM test not much of a safety issue just a bit of a pain for the tech. Bottom line is you wont fail visual for it but you might have a tough time finding a smog place that will want to test it and there is nothing you can do to make them test it. Hope this helps

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
gtmustang916
¯
Member # 3288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtmustang916  Ford pictures for gtmustang916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had to smog my car two weeks ago and i have one chamber turn downs and it passed everything except the fuel cap test so i bought a new one off them. with the stock h-pipe u need. At a test only station!

[ February 21, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: gtmustang916 ]

--------------------
1996 Red Gt 4.6--- K&N Air filter, Flowmasters and bassani o/r x-pipe

Posts: 165 | From: SaCtOwN 916 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
93redcobra
CAFords OG
Member # 1344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93redcobra  Ford pictures for 93redcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did a test only on the dyno a few years ago with turn downs no problems at all
LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXman25thANNV.  Ford pictures for LXman25thANNV.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks alot for the info everyone.
1988notchback
¯
Member # 4498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988notchback  Ford pictures for 1988notchback  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anything after the cats doesnt matter to a smog station all you have to have is what ever is approved from the cats to the manifolds
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1988notchback:
anything after the cats doesnt matter to a smog station all you have to have is what ever is approved from the cats to the manifolds

so are you saying you don't need mufflers?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com