Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » low vacume bad brakes HCI 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: low vacume bad brakes HCI 5.0
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did a HCI swap on my 5.0 and put it back together and all of a sudden my car runs like crap.

It gets about 10ish # of vacume and the car stumbles down low, anyting under 3g it stumbles but after 3k the car just pulls and the brakes get a little better (obviously its getting more vacume)

my cam is basically identical to aaronc's cam and the lift is like 496 I belive (ill have to double check)

I thought maybe my booster was bad so ive swapped my booster and MC. Didnt make a difference my brakes are still hard as a rock. It takes a good 1-2 second with all my weight on the brake pedal to fully stop or lock up the brakes.

I also sprayed propane basically all over the engine and It made absolutly no difference the only time it made a small difference was when i sprayed into my stock airbox.

My timing is at 12 and Fuel Pressure is at 38 unplugged.

Im really at the end of my wits with this no idea what to do next. Im open to all opinions.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
List the cam specs.
Did you do any brake work? Sure all the vac lines are correctly attached?

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking at the cam specs at 50 it is 224 intake 218 exhuast
gross valve lift is .556 on the intake and 528 on the exhuast, I guess i was off on my guess, long day.

I intalled it straight up.

as for the vacume lines correctly I did remove my smog equipment and I thought I had plugged in the vacume correctly I could be wrong i guess.. If you know of a chart onliine that shows were exaclty the vacume lines go it would be greatly appreciated.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks a lot mtbaughs, Any ideas one why you think the car has such low vacume?

How would I know if my lower gasket has moved?

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have to have a leak somewhere, spray carb clean at the gasket areas.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Coupe:
...I also sprayed propane basically all over the engine and It made absolutly no difference the only time it made a small difference was when i sprayed into my stock airbox...

quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
you have to have a leak somewhere, spray carb clean at the gasket areas.

propane would do the same thing, no?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes it should, I did miss that, the only other thing would be if the cam is way outta time or the valves are too tight, I would lean toward cam timing it would also explain the powerband of above 3k

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

The cam was degreed and installed dot to dot.

I remeasured my pushrods and they seem to be to short by .1875 do you guys think this would cuse my problem?

Im going to be ordering new pushrods today.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What heads & what pushrod length are you using?

That cam should have 14-15inches of vacuum at idle.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

The heads are AFR 165's with 1.6RR and 6.500 pushrods.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pedestal mount or stud?

6.500 is longer than what is typically used on that setup. If you're running pedestal mount rockers you've got WAY too much preload. If you're running stud rockers you'd better check to make sure the rockers aren't bending the studs at peak lift.

6.250 (stock length) is what 95% of the inline 20 degree heads require on a roller 302. The other 5% is 6.200-6.300.

[ February 23, 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cool

[ February 23, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Mr JoCo ]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lower intake vacuum leaks that leak towards the lifter valley (center of the block) can not be detected by the ol 'spray carb cleaner' technique or more serious ghetto techniques of feeling around with your fingers [Razz]

I had a leak like that that worked exactly as you describe, drove me nuts for 2 weeks.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com