Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » strange problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: strange problem
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got a strange problem, need help internet-diagnosing.

My 96 Mercury Sable wagon (ford taurus) is actin real messed up. When I shift out of park, the radio kicks out (just the volume - the display stays on) and some of my other things go intermittant - I'll lose power steering in and out, my dash warning lights for some things will come on (seatbelt light) even tho theres nothing wrong (seatelt plugged in); I'll hear a clicking, somewhere under the dash area sometimes. The wierdest part is that if I shift into Neutral, the problems all go away. So everything works in park, not in reverse tho, then works again in neutral, and then not again for OD, D, and 1st gear. Ford said there's no recalls for shit like this, and the service advisor suggested a bad ground possibly. Except the radio display doesn't go out, just the volume? It's got one of those integrated dash dealies, so maybe it has a seperate amp on a different ground circuit? I don't know. I can't find any loose wiring that jiggling causes the problem to come in and out, and I don't have a wiring diagram for this car. Any ideas?

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shifter is on the column, correct? If so, I bet your column has lost it's ground somewhere.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah shifter is on the column. I think I found what the problem is; there's a control module underneath the steering column that seems to tie in to a bunch of items. I'm gonna get a new one tomorrow.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Definite ground problem. Try tracing the ground or just rigging up a ground before replacing the module. That might cure it.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, Q for ya-

If it's a ground problem, why does everything work in P, NOT work in R, work in N, and NOT work in all the fwd gears? What's different about Neutral and Park that affects the ground system? I could understand if it only worked in park and maybe the shifter mechanism was pulling a wire as it was moved down, but not when it skips a gear and works then. Just doesn't make sense to me.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the shifter makes and breaks grounds based on what pos the lever is in

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

how and why??

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cheap:
how

it has a little switch that makes and breaks, check in the chiltons, i used to have the ford manuals on cd, but i cant find it... ill look tho..

quote:
Originally posted by cheap:
and why??

ask ford's engineers... [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

If it has a switch it's inside that module I want to replace, because the rest of the linkage is all mechanical from what I could see.

I'm saving the receipt just in case

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's the manual lever position (mlp or tr) sensor on the trans. Ford has a service message for the exact concerns you have. Here's a copy:

09227 *
FOR TAURUS/SABLE VEHICLES EXHIBITING A LOSS OF RADIO SOUND, POWER WINDOW FUNCTION, OR CONTINUOUS REDUCTION IN POWER STEERING ASSIST WHEN TRANSMISSION SELECTOR IS SHIFTED INTO REVERSE OR DRIVE. PERFORM PROPER DIAGNOSTICS FOR THESE CONCERNS. IF NO SOLUTION IS FOUND THE CAUSE OF THESE CONCERNS MAY BE THE TRANS RANGE (TR) SENSOR. DISCONNECT HARNESS FROM THE TR SENSOR & RECHECK FOR CONCERNS. IF OK, INSPECT CONNECTOR & SENSOR PINS FOR DAMAGE. IF OK, REPLACE THE TR SENSOR. IF THE SENSOR IS SHORTED INTERNALLY VOLTAGE MAY BE SUPPLIED TO THE START INPUT CIRCUIT CAUSING THE GEM & RCU TO SHUT DOWN CONTROLLED FUNCTIONS. REFER TO THE FOLLOWING FOR THE CORRECT PART NUMBERS. FOR 8-PIN CONNECTOR USE P/N F5DZ-7F293-BA. FOR 12-PIN CONNECTOR USE P/N F6DZ-7F293-A.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/27/1996

Get that part (F5DZ-7F293-BA) from a dealer, rewire the connector to the new style using the schematic that comes with the sensor, and when you install it, put the shifter in neutral (e-brake on), and line up the marks that are on the sensor to get the correct alignment. If you need any more info, let me know.

cheap
¯
Member # 858

You rock - that's exactly the problem I'm having. Thanks for the help!

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no problem [patriot]
cheap
¯
Member # 858

You were right, the TR sensor was the problem. $70 later my car is workin right. I owe you a beer next time I'm in CA!

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com