Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SMOG

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG
LuvMy04GT
¯
Member # 4791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMy04GT  Ford pictures for LuvMy04GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I read that a lot of you guys are running a no cat set up in your exhaust. Wont you not be passing smog? or do you just put the stock one on befors you get it smogged? Do any of you guys know any secrets to pass smog even though your not smog legal? I heard of leaning out the car and running it reall hard, getting it really hot right before the test. [Confused]

--------------------
who

Posts: 369 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just swap my cats back on. If you have a PMS or tweecer i think you can tune around stuff and get it to pass smog

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure if its posible to pass period without cats,Isn't your first smog in like 4 more years?just swap back once every few years.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You definitely won't pass w/o cats. The smog tech won't even hook it up if he looks under and doesn't see any cats and it will fail the idle test for sure.

The best thing to do is purchase a used stock H-pipe and swap it back in for the test and then put your O/R H-pipe back on later.

If you are missing other smog equipment then odds are that you will not pass the visual inspection. In addition, all of your aftermarket performance parts must have CARB numbers certifying that they are smog legal.

Some smog techs will look at things harder than others.

The bottom line is, I wouldn't even bother trying to smog it (the legit way) w/o hooking up all of your smog stuff. You are just going to waste money on the visual.

[ February 16, 2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i spend a full weekend preparing my car for smog. but then there are some homos out there that pay for illegal smogs just because they have cold air intakes and offroad pipes [Smile]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Yames
¯
Member # 5291

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yames  Ford pictures for Yames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will a 347 stroker motor pass smog? The motor in the car that I have now has a rod knock and won't pass smog because of it, however I don't want to do a 302 swap and I just want to get a 347 stroker motor when the funds become available and I need to know if it'll pass smog, I'll probably have cats on at the time as well. I don't feel like fixing the 4 banger motor that's in my car right now as it is either it's a piece of shit motor. Suggestions ideas? I just purchased this car last week and need it smogged so I can register it.

--------------------
2003 Mach 1 (Good Bye For Now)
1993 Cadillac STS 4.6L V8 (Sold)
1994 Toyota Tercel

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yames:
Will a 347 stroker motor pass smog? The motor in the car that I have now has a rod knock and won't pass smog because of it, however I don't want to do a 302 swap and I just want to get a 347 stroker motor when the funds become available and I need to know if it'll pass smog, I'll probably have cats on at the time as well. I don't feel like fixing the 4 banger motor that's in my car right now as it is either it's a piece of shit motor. Suggestions ideas? I just purchased this car last week and need it smogged so I can register it.

Yes it can pass smog if you want it to.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
i spend a full weekend preparing my car for smog. but then there are some homos out there that pay for illegal smogs just because they have cold air intakes and offroad pipes [Smile]

[Big Grin] , LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Yames:

Mine passes with flying colors.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

LuvMy04GT
¯
Member # 4791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMy04GT  Ford pictures for LuvMy04GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info. I should still pass with a SLP x-pipe with cats right? Will i still pass smog i if i have a RAI with no carb number, but i still got the stock cats?

Alfonso

--------------------
who

Posts: 369 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the SLP X-pipe w/cats have a CARB EO #? If not it is illegal. No CARB EO# for anything smog related, intakes too=Illegal in California. If u wanna get an x-pipe just go with one w/o cats dont waste money on a catted one that should fail visual(if no CARB #) and might fail the sniffer. Swap back your old H-pipe for smog, no worries. Just my $.02 i guess
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
grupe56
¯
Member # 5329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for grupe56  Ford pictures for grupe56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Consider yourselves lucky you're not in Arizona. They are really anal retentive about their smog stuff over there - I had to deal w/ it for 4 years. If you run a good set of after market performance cats you'll be ok. I know Summit sells a set of 49 state legal cats w/ pipes. The one thing you need to remember w/ CARB compliant part's is that somebody greased up the California EPA for permission to use their "Approved" stamp, we the consumers end up paying more for our part's because of this palm greasing. I have my 5.0L notch registered in Imperial County - no smog check's, only when you buy a car.
Posts: 42 | From: Red Bluff, Cal | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by grupe56:
Consider yourselves lucky you're not in Arizona. They are really anal retentive about their smog stuff over there - I had to deal w/ it for 4 years. If you run a good set of after market performance cats you'll be ok. I know Summit sells a set of 49 state legal cats w/ pipes. The one thing you need to remember w/ CARB compliant part's is that somebody greased up the California EPA for permission to use their "Approved" stamp, we the consumers end up paying more for our part's because of this palm greasing. I have my 5.0L notch registered in Imperial County - no smog check's, only when you buy a car.

Not really much palm greasing involved, getting a CARB# means you have to guarantee no adverse effect on emissions AND(lots of people dont know this) guarantee your performance claim too.
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
rico91stang
¯
Member # 2389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rico91stang  Ford pictures for rico91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HATE OFF ROAD PIPES. It just makes cars loud and annoying to drive behind. Just buy an x-pipe with high flow cats. There is little gain between an o/r x-pipe and an x-pipe with high flow cats. [patriot]

--------------------
"My shit ain't stock. Shits got a cam yo."-Archie Saleen (Union city)

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you guys don't know any smog techs that don't care if there are carb #'s on the stuff? you would think some of you guys would with all the mods and time you guys put into your car. if u have all the equipment and its clean out the pipe no check engine lights it passes.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com