Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 17inch 275/40/17 Mickey Thomson Drag radials?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 17inch 275/40/17 Mickey Thomson Drag radials?
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone try them? Will they work ok for 560rwhp? I would run slicks but don't have the funds to beef up the rear end.
thanks

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uh-
Come again? You don't want to run slicks for fear of breaking stuff but will run the MT's that are slicks w/ radial belts?

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I figured having 17inch drag radials, won't hook as hard as the slicks or ET streets.

--------------------

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've actually heard that the new MT drag radials hook better than the ET streets [Razz]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

What about in a 275/40/17? Less side wall!

--------------------

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
I've actually heard that the new MT drag radials hook better than the ET streets [Razz]

yes they do [Big Grin]
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
What about in a 275/40/17? Less side wall!

Yeah i know, they make a 17" ET street to you know

--------------------
90 Notch

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

I've been checking those out too.
thanks

--------------------

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive heard they hook up a 560+ rwhp car , full throttle in 2nd gear on the street......sounds like a good tire to me.....

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to save suspesnion parts- get BFGoodrich or Nitto's. BFG's hook a bit better than Nitto's but don't last as long.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Also keep in mind you gotta heat the shit out of DRs if you want them to hook worth a crap...

--------------------
90 Notch

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

For suspension, I have the Griggs severe duty torque arm and panhard brace and there lower control arms with a set of Tokico Illuminas adjustables. I have the M2300K Brake conversion. Can't find 15inch rims that would clear. I think I decided to go with the 26/11.5/17 ET streets. Which are actually 26.5inch overall diameter. I realized that I might run out of gear with the 275/40/17 drag radials which are 25.7 overall diameter. Thanks for all the info.

--------------------

93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i made 563 rwhp and 523 ft lbs and have 3.55 gears and could nail it in 2nd and it would hook up.i run the m/t drag radials.275/40/17.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

93lx342-Thats good to know. Do you run a manual trans. Have you ran at the track with the drag radials, if so what rpm where you at through the traps and what was the 60ft?
Thanks

[ February 15, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: forced331 ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com