Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » NEED HELP PLEASE... Check Engine Light Went Off...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP PLEASE... Check Engine Light Went Off...
xmenstang
¯
Member # 5308

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for xmenstang  Ford pictures for xmenstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all. I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me. I changed out my oil and spark plugs (Bosch double plat.) today in my 2002 GT and to do so I had to take off my intake (C&L Inlet Pipe and 85mm Mass Air System). When I went to test her out I forgot to plug in the MAM back in. After about 10 mins of driving I made it home and noticed that my Check Engine Light was on. I looked under the hood disconnected the battery and pluged the MAM back in. I checked it again and the light is still on. Should it have turned off? Is there a way to turn it off? BTW I also have a Magnaflow off-road x-pipe with Brothers MIL elimators. My light has never turned on before today and I have had the pipe on for atleast 2 years. Any help would be appriciated.

--------------------
"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!"

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IF you're sure that you only left the one wire unplugged, then don't worry about it. OBD 2 cars like yours will recheck a problem, and after a few drive cycles( started up cold, driven a distance, shut down and cooled off) the car will turn off the light by itself- it will still store the code in long term memory, but it WILL shut off!! No worries!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh, and for the record, OBD 2 cars usually won't let a check engine light be cleared by disconnecting the battery- it has to be erased with a scan tool. FYI

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to a parts place like autozone, etc. they will usually clear it for you

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

xmenstang
¯
Member # 5308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xmenstang  Ford pictures for xmenstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, thanks guys for the quick response. I'll drive her around some tomarrow and see if it clears. If not I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to clear it out. Thanks again.

--------------------

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Gt88:
Oh, and for the record, OBD 2 cars usually won't let a check engine light be cleared by disconnecting the battery- it has to be erased with a scan tool. FYI

Wrong
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Woops... seeing as how I kinda make my living as a tech, and I gots some education, I guess you got me there. Thanks BOR! Why don't you expound on your point there, 'k?

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

xmenstang
¯
Member # 5308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xmenstang  Ford pictures for xmenstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I tried driving the car around a couple times and still the light was on. A friend of mine told me to disconnect the battery for a longer time than I did and the light turned off. Woo HOo!

--------------------

CaliSS2001
¯
Member # 5316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliSS2001  Ford pictures for CaliSS2001    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup unplug the negative part of the batt. for 15 min and it will re [dance] set the PCM.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Gt88:
Woops... seeing as how I kinda make my living as a tech, and I gots some education, I guess you got me there. Thanks BOR! Why don't you expound on your point there, 'k?

Well, you obviously don't "gots" enough. I have been a Ford tech for 17 years now, so I might just know what I am talking about.
But, since you want to know why, all you are doing is clearing the KAM, and disconnecting the battery is sometimes more effective than clearing the codes by using a scan tool. Adaptive strategy is a very important part of a PCM's ability to maintain the driveability/shift scheduling of ANY vehicle. The only way to completely clear the KAM is to remove the neg. battery cable, and either hold down the brake pedal or turn on the headlights to dissipate the capacitors in the PCM,GEM,RCM,ABS,etc. modules.

So tell me, how much does Pep Boys pay their "techs" these days? k?

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xmenstang:
Well, I tried driving the car around a couple times and still the light was on. A friend of mine told me to disconnect the battery for a longer time than I did and the light turned off. Woo HOo!

What friend was that?? [Big Grin]
Not trying to stir up ish, but I'm with BlueOval on this one. Something similar happened with my car. I swapped out my x-pipe and one of the 02 sensors wasn't connected all the way. It threw the check engine light and after reconnecting it was still on. I disconnected the battery for about half-hour and after starting it up again it was gone.

By the way, welcome to the boards xmenstang [patriot]

xmenstang
¯
Member # 5308

delete

[ February 13, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: xmenstang ]

--------------------

xmenstang
¯
Member # 5308

quote:

By the way, welcome to the boards xmenstang [patriot] [/QB]

Cool, thanks!

--------------------

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any OBD I, II, or CAN Network vehicle can have it's KAM reset (clear dtc's and learned parameters) by disconnecting the battery.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com