Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » WHAT ARE THE BEST UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT ARE THE BEST UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS???
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a set of MAC upper and lowers on my car and i was wanting to get something better cuz i burn out way to much so i need some more traction help. so what are some good ones that wont rip my torque boxes but will help grip a little/lot better??? Thanks.
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best ones i know of are Megabite Jrs. They grab hard, but i would have your torque boxes welded. Any aftermarket control arm could rip the TQ box.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only ones that rip out the torque boxes are those without bushings like a southside style LCA.

I'd say the megabite Sr's are good, and they're double-adjustable uppers too, but really expensive. Or steeda, or you name it. They're really the same exact part, but some uppers are adjustable and that can be a nice thing to have. Makes tuning your pinion angle--- critical for a good launch... possible. Also can adjust for center of gravity/roll center/tire height and other reasons.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd say some griggs, or maximum!!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If traction is your only issue, I think a change in tires may be in order also. [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Megabites are nortious for ripping out torque boxes, happened to me and a few buddies of mine. Now I have the griggs lower control arms and no uppers, with Griggs severe duty torque arm and panhard brace. Alot more expensive, but made a huge difference. Best for the buck are the maximum motorsports upper and lowers.

[ February 07, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: forced331 ]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
baseline uppers and any heim jointed solid mount lowers.do a lil torque box weldin and you will be good.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford racing parts uppers with new axle bushings. Global West or Maximum Motorsports lowers. If your drivin it hard like it sounds than weld the boxes cause you'll have problems sooner or later.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dang i guess everyone has there own opinion, so i will just have to look into all of them, im thinkin about going with all maximum motorsports suspension looks like a lot of people like that setup.
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats up dude, it's bob from fresno.

i agree on the megabite jr's.

and yeah weld up the boxes.
the only ones i've had that sucked were the southsides.

they hooked well enough, but loud and rough on the car.

why not pop a set of mickey's on there and see how you like it.

i used to drive all year long on them even in michigan.

later bro..............

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

well i do have some mickey thompson drag radials, but i cant afford to drive on them all the time so i just use them at the track, but i have a lot of problems with hooking up on the street, so i just wanted to try and solve some of that problem,
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say try the megabites jr lowers.

there are 2 different positions you can hook them up...1 is for "better" traction...the other is for "best" traction

the geometry changes depending which hole you use.

are you getting bad wheel hop too? the jr's will stop that pretty well.

i put an airbag on 1 of my older cars, just on the right side, and aired it up to about 8 psi. keeps the right side from dipping , so not just that side is hooking hard....lets the left side help out.

they are like 60 bucks and only takes a hour or so to put in.

the 50/50's help a lot too.

if you did all that and got a set of really cheap cheaters (hoosier "dirt bozz", McCreary road stars) something not so expensive as mickey's you'd keep them on there all the time. or at least on weekends

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com