Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Is it safe to run a NOS stage 1 kit w/no tune

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it safe to run a NOS stage 1 kit w/no tune
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a built bottom end. Can I pull my chip out and run a NOS stage 1 dry kit on it with the base timing set at 10?

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't see why you couldn't but i was just thinking about your Auto tranny?

Did they set-up the chip for adjusting any shift variables.

Just thinking of the worst case scenarios...also don't really know about the 5.0's but wouldn't a wet kit be safer since the 5.0 are unlike the newer sn95 w/ the plastic intake

[Confused]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What shot is a "stage 1"? If it's 50-100 you should be fine as long as you have big enough pumps and injectors. You'd also want to change plugs. If you're only doing a 50 shot you could probably get away with timing at 10*, but any more than that you'd want to bump it down.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dry kits are actually a little safer because they dont have fuel in the upper intake. On 5.0s the runners are long and sometimes the fuel can puddle up with a wet kit and cause a backfire. As long as you have enough injector and pump you should be fine. Remove 2 degrees timing per 50hp squeezed and use 1 step colder plugs for anything above a 75 shot.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I have 30lbs injectors and a 255lph pump. I have a 75 shot right now.

My tranny has a shift kit in there and I usually shift on my own vs. letting it shift itself.

I have Autolite 3924s in there now. Would I have to close the gap a bit too? So you would also recommend that I lower my timing to 8 vs. leaving it at 10?

Thanks for the input guys

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'd leave the chip in and lower the base timing 2-4*. plug gap should be no more than .045

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step down a heat range from the stock plug for your heads. I'd be very cautious about adding to much power with a dry kit. If anything before you run it I would check air fuel on the dyno but I suggest that with any NOS kit. Unless you see a safe ratio on paper you are guessing whether or not your motor will be happy. For $65 for the dyno pulls thats peace of mind and it will point out any potential issues.

[ February 04, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just have it tuned on the dyno. i have blown several head gaskets waiting to get my cars tuned.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have never had any problems running nitrous on my cars. I have never paid for a "dyno tune." I ran a 150 shot for almost a year on my 93 Cobra through the cats. Ran consistent 12.1-.3's for a long long time. Sold the car. Then ran a 125 shot on my 93 GT AOD vert. I've ran those kits on approx 5-6 fox's that I have owned over the years. I kill the gap (35 thou or so), run a good pump, drop the timing, colder plugs, etc.

I think dyno tuning on mild cars is a waste of money.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com