Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how would you smog a mazda miata with a 302?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how would you smog a mazda miata with a 302?
stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stang bang 67  Ford pictures for stang bang 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i can get a running miata for 600 bucks...my friend like these cars and i've seen these cars with 302 motors in them...my question is how and can a smog one? if so i might have me a 2 seater comuter car?

i do know that they sell kit's to put them in, and that a stock 5.0 motor won't blow up the stock rearend. i think the tranny's are real close in length so where it sit's inside should be close and trimming's no problem for me.

so if any or you have or know what to do. then can ya let me know... [Smile]

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

GOTULKN
¯
Member # 4933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOTULKN  Ford pictures for GOTULKN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
monster miata [Big Grin]

--------------------
Happiness is being stroked and blown

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smog ref, call the BAR.

motor must be newer than the car, you must use all emissions equipment that is required on the year engine you choose.

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stang bang 67  Ford pictures for stang bang 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah that's what they call them but how do ya smog one? i think one would be fun to drive everyday to work and maybe at the track.

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
smog ref, call the BAR.

motor must be newer than the car, you must use all emissions equipment that is required on the year engine you choose.

thank's i'm gonna look in to puttin one together..update you guy's on the progress.

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Engine_Change_Guidelines-Jan_1994.htm
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the motor can be the same year too

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stang bang 67:
yeah that's what they call them but how do ya smog one? i think one would be fun to drive everyday to work and maybe at the track.

The ref approves the swap, issues you a BAR sticker which is put in the engine bay. When it's time for a smog, the tech will take the numbers from the BAR sticker and procede with the smog check. That is, if you can find a smog check place that will even look at it.

The tricky part to get by the ref are the headers. Stock headers won't fit and the kit headers are not smog legal. You will have to fool the ref to think the kit headers are of the legal aftermarket type. The ref will likely ask for all the receipts you have for performing the swap. Expect to take 2 or 3 trips to the ref to fix things. The easiest way to get passed is get a VIN from a totaled Mustang that has California emissions. Tell the ref you swaped out the parts from that Mustang and into the Miata.

I almost bought one a couple years ago and was unimpressed when i drove it. It would be a very cool toy to have, but not something I'd want to drive every day. The swap is very straight forward, but if you want to add a/c and power steering, it gets a bit more complicated. The one I drove didn't have power steering and it felt like a tank around town. When you get up to speed, it's not a big deal. In the end, no matter how fast it is, a Miata is still a Miata. Women will look at you funny and guys will make the typical jokes.

One very cool kit out there now is the V8 Focus kit. It's even easier than the Miata kit and you can fit a 4V in there.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In the end, no matter how fast it is, a Miata is still a Miata. Women will look at you funny and guys will make the typical jokes.

Thats pretty funny. My buddy's dad had a yellow one with the swap, and he would borrow it once in a while. We used to tell him "Cool man, now you can do 0-Gay in 6.2 seconds"!

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a miata, I am trying to sell it only because back problems i have make it a major pain to use on the really long work commute i have. guys do make the usual jokes, even had an email in response to my online ad to sell it, and it was a guy with a woman's name, it was just very strange. Now I've had nothing but positive response from girls on the car, no funny looks, just complaints that top down driving fucks up their hair.
Anyway look on miata.net in the forums section if you want specific info on the swap. I don't think the stock rear in the 1.6l cars can take the power, if its a 1.8l car then you should be ok up to a point from what I have read, especially if its a torsen rear. You can also put a 1.8 rear in a 1.6 car. Good luck.

[ February 02, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Shok ]

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

just so every one know's....i don't like miatas and i think their gay too. i was just curious how hard it would be to do and if it would even be worth it. i think i'll just buy afr heads for my car instead of a streat legal go kart. thank's for the help [patriot]

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stang bang 67:
just so every one know's....i don't like miatas and i think their gay too. i was just curious how hard it would be to do and if it would even be worth it. i think i'll just buy afr heads for my car instead of a streat legal go kart. thank's for the help [patriot]

Do whatever you want to, who cares. I drove a Miata for a year and it was a fun car. I didn't give a crap about the image. My comments before weren't intended to deter you. There are some body kits too that will make it look a bit more muscular.

I also got your PM about the Focus kit. I don't have the link on this computer, but just do a Google search for "V8 Focus" and I'm sure it will come up. The engine is just a drop in with the included kit k member. It's also converted to rear wheel drive. The one big drawback is the stock fuel tank must be removed to fit the 8.8 rear so a fuel cell has to be located in the hatch area. Not sure if a smog referee would let that pass. But, I would just LOVE to see the look on a ricers face if they pull up next to one and heard the sound of a V8 coming out of the exhaust.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com