Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car starts vibrating after going 50mph? what the hell (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Car starts vibrating after going 50mph? what the hell
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well as some of you know i just got the car back a few days ago and now for some reason the car starts to vibrate after i start going about 50mph and gets worse the faster i go.... sounds like it is the driveline or u joints or something... its really pissing me off becasue i cant even smash it and get the full effect of my suspension. also when i start to slow down it sounds like gear noise and sometimes a ticking or clicking noise when almost at a stop. wtf?? thanks
Oh yea i looked at it today while at the muffler shop and everything looks pretty good but im not a mechanic

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like maybe they didnt set the pinion angle after the torque arm or the extra stress wore out a ujoint, tailshaft bushing or pinion seal

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exactly what i thought and so did alteredspeed said that as well... there going to put it on the rack to check the pinion angle and the u joints etc. what else do you guys think

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

cvr 5.0
¯
Member # 2962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cvr 5.0  Ford pictures for cvr 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car does the same thing and i do not know what it is too, but i only have contorl arms, springs, shocks, and gears... what should i do [patriot]

--------------------
-89 MUSTANG 5.0 lx vert (sold as of 2-10-08 for $8K)
-Ford F-100 with blown chevy 502
2004.5 dodge ram, 500hp and 1100tq
-84 yoda on 39s

Posts: 977 | From: Fremont ,ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well smacking that curb bent the rim slightly.

That could be a possibility also.

Second when they did bearings they could have not set the rear end correctly.

Third pinion angle.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Thats the same thing alteredspeed told me... im going to take it to them tomarrow or thursday and there going to check it out.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

oh yeah it started doing it immediately after I left bigboyracing. hmmmm fustrating

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

50nuts
¯
Member # 5254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50nuts  Ford pictures for 50nuts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like it might be ur break pads...

--------------------
00 Dodge Durango

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

i was kinda thinking that as well becasue i used my old brake pads and there was a little chunk of the break pad missing??

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
car vibrating, did you check or change your driveshaft? Broken chunk off brake pad, don't be cheap, replace them.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try unbolting your drive shaft at the pinion flange, rotate it 90 degrees, bolt it up and go drive it and see if the vibration changes. You might have to do this 4 times to find the point where the vibration is the smallest.
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

i havent changed the driveline... original one i want to find out the problem first before i buy an aluminum one!!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you wacked your rear swangin it, you might have slightly bent the shaft. You may wanna just change it anyways.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

the input shaft?

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt mean replace your drive shaft, just rotate it but if you smashed into a curb sideways your axle(s) are definatley bent. The flanges on the stock axles are easy to bend.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

already replaced and upgraded axles... found out today that my driveline is bent... oh well time for an aluminum one

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

50nuts
¯
Member # 5254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50nuts  Ford pictures for 50nuts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar problam like that, but it was my tranny. Everytime i'd accelorate, my car would vibrate hella bad. And when I got to 30 it would stop.

--------------------
00 Dodge Durango

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is your tranny sliping from all the neutral drops you did. Not a vibration. So, now that you messed up you Durango are you going to fix it... didn't think so. Stop posting on the tech forums, I don't think someone who didn't put hardner in the bondo that they put over there finished paint should be giving out advice.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my shit has a slight vibration as well around 65+. I have an upgraded driveshaft too. Its not to bad but it comes from the rear cause I can hear the cage shacking. Is it probably the driveshaft? I have a griggs torque arm and panhard as well.
johnny

[ January 29, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: SEMPERFI510 ]

Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by SEMPERFI510:
my shit has a slight vibration as well around 65+. I have an upgraded driveshaft too. Its not to bad but it comes from the rear cause I can hear the cage shacking. Is it probably the driveshaft? I have a griggs torque arm and panhard as well.
johnny

On yours, like someone else said, pull the shaft, give it a 1/4 rotation. It may help.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

50nuts
¯
Member # 5254

it's being fixed... sorry

[ January 30, 2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: 50nuts ]

--------------------
00 Dodge Durango

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Picked up a griggs driveshaft.... well see if this solves the problem.. fingers crossed!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9Roush8:
Picked up a griggs driveshaft.... well see if this solves the problem.. fingers crossed!

thats the one i have [patriot]
Johnny

S2 STALLION
¯
Member # 995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S2 STALLION  Ford pictures for S2 STALLION    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same problem here too.
happens after about 70+mph.
started happening after i did aftermarket upper control arms and had them adjusted wrong.
so now they are right but still have vibration....im doing process of elimination.
new front and rear rotors, driveshaft, and re-checking arms.
if that dont work .... im f*&^%@ lost

Posts: 223 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

quote:
Originally posted by S2 STALLION:
same problem here too.
happens after about 70+mph.
started happening after i did aftermarket upper control arms and had them adjusted wrong.
so now they are right but still have vibration....im doing process of elimination.
new front and rear rotors, driveshaft, and re-checking arms.
if that dont work .... im f*&^%@ lost

i need to change my brakes as well. I am going to start doing all of that as well.
johnny

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com