Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Started up my 347 first time last night, problems . . .

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Started up my 347 first time last night, problems . . .
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys,

i just finished my car yesterday night, fired it up and took it around the block. first thing i noticed was the whole car was shaking so bad (i have poly motor/tranny mounts) that the cd in the player couldn't even play w/o skipping. is this what to expect from these mounts?? it's not hte balancer, or anythingelse, i just put this motor together yesterday.

also, when i got back from the drive, i tried to start it again, and nothing would happen. i mean, the starter would spin, but the motor wouldn't crank. one of my buddies suggested the bendix went out or something? i searched on corral and couldn't find an answer.

any help would be awesome!

thanks,
phil

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have poly motor and tranny mounts and don't have really bad vibration problems. What is your combo? Are you running a big cam? Does the vibration happen all the time or just at certain RPMs?

If the starter just spins and the motor doesn't crank then it could be the solenoid is shot. I would first check the connection on the started (to the solenoid) to see if it has come loose. On the mini-torque starters it is connected with a spade connector and I could see how that could come loose if you are having a lot of vibration.

Are you running long tubes?

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you use a used starter on a new motor?

It's probably dead.... [Frown]

Not enough juice to crank it since it has full compression.

Motor shaking hmmm firing order right? maf matches injectors? running rich or lean?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you set the timing on the motor yet?
That could cause the shake

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure all wires are in the correct order.and make sure timing is right.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys!

well, i figured out the starter issue, it's cranking fine now.

the vibration is still unsolved though. the MAF is cal'd to the injectors, the timing is pretty close, haven't really worried about it that much since i knew i wasn't gonna drive it just yet, but it's not far off enough to cause it to shake this bad. everything's balanced to 50oz too [Frown]

anyway, thanks again

phil

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

cvr 5.0
¯
Member # 2962

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for cvr 5.0  Ford pictures for cvr 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
external balanced or internal balanced?????? [Confused]

--------------------
-89 MUSTANG 5.0 lx vert (sold as of 2-10-08 for $8K)
-Ford F-100 with blown chevy 502
2004.5 dodge ram, 500hp and 1100tq
-84 yoda on 39s

Posts: 977 | From: Fremont ,ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you put the balancer on right? sounds like its not all 50oz balanced...

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isn't 347 and 331 supposed to balance at 28oz. When I first started my motor I had a bad vibration could not figure it out until I looked at the spec sheet and it called for 28oz balance and they had sent me 50oz balancer and flywheel. I reinstalled the balancer and flywheel with 28oz and the engine ran smooth. Just double check and make sure the balance is correct. Goodluck!
Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm with forced on this one
I think most stroker manufacturers balance their assemblies to 28oz.
Did your machinist have to add an assload of mallory to get it balanced?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 331 is balanced to 50 oz. with no Mallory Metal. The front and rear counterweights are drilled out quite a bit.

[ January 24, 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: BlueOvalRacing ]

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most of everyone I ran in too or seen online had 28oz balancing on 331 and 347's. Isn't 50oz balance stock?

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
Most of everyone I ran in too or seen online had 28oz balancing on 331 and 347's. Isn't 50oz balance stock?

Yes, 50 oz. is stock. I asked CHP if they could balance my rotating assy. to 50 and they said no problem. The balancing holes in the front and rear counterweights actually intersect each other at the bottom.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com