Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP!! I can't compress my rear brake cylinders!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!! I can't compress my rear brake cylinders!!
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
emergency brake is down

i've already snapped a c-clamp trying to compress the left-rear cylinder; the right-rear is just as bad.

i'm putting a cheater-wrench on the shaft you use to close the clamp .

i've tried breaking the bleeder on the caliper and both bleeders on the master cylinder with no luck

HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to Autozone and rent the correct tool. You cannot compress them with a C clamp.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The tool is a spanner block. It connects to a ratchet. You have to drive the piston back in becuase of the e-brake. The tool only costs like $5.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The pistons dont just go back into the caliper like on the front. there is a tool that goes into the notches in the piston to rotate it while pushing it in.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yep, you have to spin them clockwise. if you're lazy you can use some needle nose pliers to stick in the notches. then use some pliers to spin it

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used the needle nose plier technique and it worked great. But you have to be careful because you can slip and gouge the shit out of your hand!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup

i finally figured it out [Roll Eyes] .

i noticed the grooves and used my stork pliers; not the greatest technique. the spanner block would've been nice.

thanks for the help. i feel like royal stupid-ass [Embarrassed] [patriot]

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yesIdid:
i feel like royal stupid-ass [Embarrassed] [patriot]

Don't. Most people go through the exact same thing the first time changing rear pads. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com