Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » heads-which side is which?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: heads-which side is which?
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how can you tell which head is which, just by themselves? I want to try to lap the valves, but IIRC the valves need to go back to the place they came, and I can't tell which head is which [Confused]

[ January 14, 2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: zpyro35 ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are identical. But try to figure it out by seeing where the smog tube was on the back of the heads, this will show you left and right.
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't remember what the smog tube hooked to [Razz] there's a ~1.5" hole on the exhaust side of the front/back of the heads, then there's a small hole above each one. on one end of the heads it's all clogged up with black crap, I'm assuming this is where the smog tube hooked up?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be able to tell because the sides that take the smog tube will have threaded holes to to bolt the smog tube and the holes on the front don't.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

all holes have threads, except for the ones that are clogged with black crap, I can't see if there are threads in those or not

[ January 14, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: zpyro35 ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"clogged w/ black crap"- ta-da! those would be the smog injection ports on the back of the heads.
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

cool thanks, now I can finally get to doin this

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

actually, now I can't remember how the cylinders are numbered....it's 1-4 passenger side, 5-8 driver side right?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Yup.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by zpyro35:
all holes have threads, except for the ones that are clogged with black crap, I can't see if there are threads in those or not

That's strange. Mine arent like that.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are threaded inserts in the heads. If you have stock E7's/GT40's/etc most have them in both ends. If you have aftermarket heads most do NOT have them. Don't make the mistake on this, I've seen it too many times. The inserts go to the front. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

thanks for that ever-so-contributive post, eddie [Roll Eyes]

so the fact is, if there's black crap in the holes, those holes go to the back of the heads, right? I hope so, I've already lapped all of the valves in one head [Razz]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by zpyro35:
thanks for that ever-so-contributive post, eddie [Roll Eyes]

so the fact is, if there's black crap in the holes, those holes go to the back of the heads, right? I hope so, I've already lapped all of the valves in one head [Razz]

I was laughing what john b was saying [Razz] no te nojes(dontgetmad) [Wink] [dance]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com