Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » tach stuck at 4k

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: tach stuck at 4k
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My tach goes up from 0-4000 and get stuck there....factory tach just sticks at 4000....Its at 0 then you put the ignition to start and it goes up to 4k.only the guage not the motor...so i cant tell where my rpms are at
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so it is at 0 when off. How about when the key is in the run position and the engine is off? Does it go right to 4k even if you yust start it and don't accelerate or does it stay there after accelerating past 4k once.

Most likely the guage itself is bad if all the other guages are working.

I have a couple old clusters laying around. If you wanna drive to tracy and try one out pm me.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will jump up to 4k once the car is turned on..It just went back to normal yesterday but then this morning it did it again.I'll let you know if ill head up there, if not thanks anyway
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine used to stay at zero almost always. Then if I revved to redline, the needle would jump up there too, but then drop back down immediately.

I took it out and resoldered (didn't even bother stripping the old crap, just melted it and let it set again) all the joints on the back of the tach, been working fine for about half a year now.
Bit different from your problem, but worth a try.

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com