Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » harmonic balancer install???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: harmonic balancer install???
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just replaced my harmonic balancer on my 88 5.0 and all u do is hammer it on? i mean to pull it off all i had to do was use a puller. just makin sure im doin this right. it lined up with that key and slid on then i hammered in the rest.

[ January 11, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: sic5pointSLOW ]

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not the best way to do it, you should use an installer. You might be able to rent one from an auto parts store.. Last resort use a hammer and a block of wood so you dont damage the balancer.. then use the bolt to pull it the rest of the way on

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah you should of been able to slide it on enough to put the bolt in and then just tighten down the bolt.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know how many pounds it should be torqued to?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
yeah you should of been able to slide it on enough to put the bolt in and then just tighten down the bolt.

EXACTLY!

Don't worry about pounds. Just tighten it until the motor turns and you cannot tighten it any more.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like to use a much longer bolt and a bunch of washers. That way you can get the bolt to engage 75% of the threads, pull it 25% of the way, add washers and repeat. If the bolt barely starts and you try to use the bolt to pull the balancer on you'll likely F* up the threads.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:

EXACTLY!

Don't worry about pounds. Just tighten it until the motor turns and you cannot tighten it any more.

cool, good info to know, did my balancer a few months back and for some reason I thought it needed to be tourqued

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com