Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Didn't pass SMOG --- HELP?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Didn't pass SMOG --- HELP?
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just took my 92 LX in and the HC were near 600 at idle...cleaned up with RPM. It is a stock 302 with GT-40Y Aliminum heads, GT-40 Intake, 65mm TB, 73mm Mass Air, E303 installed straight up, stock cats, 24lbs injectors, 255 pump,timing at 10 deg. and the fuel press at about 38psi with the vac removed. Also, MSD 6AL. I had one plug wire arching a little bit and tonight I plan on fixing the plug wire, changing plugs and a new cap and rotor along with cleaning the K&N. I am new to this SMOG crap... is there anything else you guys would reccomend?

[ January 11, 2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem. Fresh oil, then drive it on the freeway to blow it out. Make sure it's Hot during testing!
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The oil is fairly new (500 miles), and the car was warm. I drove it for about 20 minutes, but it was all in town driving.
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

I installed new plugs, cap, rotor, and cleaned the filter. The car normaly has a BBK off road X pile, and I have installed the stock H pipe with cats in order to pass this SMOG crap. Ever since I put all the SMOG parts back on the car seems to idle rough, and is much quieter... it just seems to be muffled down to the point that it is choking? Could there be something else wrong?Maybe it is just because I am not used to it?
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had problems smogging my 92 also but after installing new cats new O'2S complete tune up new egr it turned out to be the water pump it went bad and the car was running to damm hot. I would pass 15mph but wouldnt going 25.but anyways good luck

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Are there different SMOG tests? i am registered out of state, and usually don't require SMOG but I have to register my car on a military base and they require it. I had the car done 2 years ago when it was all stock and it passed fine, but they just put probes in the tail pipes and ran the car where it sat. Did the rules change, or do they usually run the car on rollers? I have no idea... I think it is time to move to another base just to avoid this SMOG stuff.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com