Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog fail...spark plugs?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smog fail...spark plugs?
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys,

I just failed my smog check for my 95' M3. I know most people are only familiar with mustangs, but M3 guys don't know much about Nitrous and my car has nitrous. My car passed the 25 MPH test (2800 rpm) and failed the 15 mph (1800) test. I have an NX wet kit. I can't think of anything that would make me fail the test, in terms of my nitrous, except for the colder plugs. Would colder plugs make me fail do to an incomplete combustion process? Any other ideas? It passed the Oxygen sensor test. thanks

David

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you fail on? HC (hydrocarbons)? CO (carbon monoxide)? NOX (nitrogen oxide)? Or a combintation of the three?

[ January 08, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: SALEENx5 ]

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what emission did it fail on???

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It failed on all three, but barely on CO%. The max for HC was 85 and I measured 181. The max for CO was %.50 and I measured %.51. The max for NO was 695 and I measured 1716. I passed with flying colors on the 25mph test, except for HC was pretty close to failing.
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Oh yeah, and the car has 119,000 miles with original cats. I was thinking about changing the plugs, puttin' in some fuel additive, and then heatin' up the cats.
95 stang
¯
Member # 3449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95 stang  Ford pictures for 95 stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it have an egr?
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whens the last time you changed the O2 sensor?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

yeah.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

the NOX failure is probably your EGR system not working

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ok. Don't know if the 0 sensor has ever been changed.

Do you think I could just clean out the EGR tube or would you think a new unit is in hand?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

you have to check the system and see what part is not working, it could be the valve needs to be replaced, or the passages clogged or the vacuum solinoid doesnt work.. O2's should be changed at least every 50k miles

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CustomFastbackCA:
Do you think I could just clean out the EGR tube or would you think a new unit is in hand?

Your BMW M3 does not use an EGR system.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CustomFastbackCA:
Hey guys,

I just failed my smog check for my 95' M3. I know most people are only familiar with mustangs, but M3 guys don't know much about Nitrous and my car has nitrous. My car passed the 25 MPH test (2800 rpm) and failed the 15 mph (1800) test. I have an NX wet kit. I can't think of anything that would make me fail the test, in terms of my nitrous, except for the colder plugs. Would colder plugs make me fail do to an incomplete combustion process? Any other ideas? It passed the Oxygen sensor test. thanks

David

I would change out the spark plugs, your sprak might be to weak at lower RPM's wich would couse you not not burn the fuel completely,

take it to a shop that has pass or dont pay, its worth a try, Their is a smog shop by my house that does pass or dont pay.

hey hows ellenor comeing out.

[ January 09, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: 99gt-UJSTLST ]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com