Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » has anyone heard of a gt saleen california editon?????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: has anyone heard of a gt saleen california editon?????
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i bought a car that was supose to be a 89 gt saleen california edition car. i was just wondering if there is such a thing and if so how rare are the and how would i go about checking mine?
thanks guys

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, I have heard of the california edition only it's not a real Saleen it just has suspension work by them.

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, my dad almost bought one in '90. It was white with teal stripes or something like that. Racecraft suspension but no body kit. Call Saleen with the VIN, they'll be able to tell you.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are they rare?

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They do exist and they are rare. However I do not know the extent of their tracking. I'm pretty sure that they are not serialized. Your best bet would be to contact Liz at Saleen. Have your VIN handy.

[ January 04, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: DaveG ]

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

GOTULKN
¯
Member # 4933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOTULKN  Ford pictures for GOTULKN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from what i remember two dealers offered the california ed saleen mustang.... frontier fordin san jose and one in sac... just cant remember which one something like 150 built total

--------------------
Happiness is being stroked and blown

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The "California Edition" cars were a series of dealer or "zone" cars modified by Saleen at the request of the dealer. These were entry level cars aimed at buyers who couldn't afford the full Saleen Mustang price tag (the same thinking went behind the building of the GT Sport cars and V6 Sport cars that were offered by Saleen). Since these cars were not serialized, Saleen may not have them recorded. The cars were lightly modified with most of the Saleen Racecraft suspension (springs, shocks, struts, quads, sway bar bushings, etc.). The brakes are stock. The body is stock GT. The interior is stock. The motor is stock. As far as what they are worth, I would probably contact Mark LaMaskin at Performance Autosport (performanceautosport.com).
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The California Edition also got a Sony CD deck. That was a big thing in 1990.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All of them were white with a turquoise decal on the hatch that said California Edition in script.

They also had 16" white "mesh" wheels with a polished lip.

I've only seen a few of them and haven't seen one in years.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds kinda rare to me just by the number of them made.
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup,i own one.they are serialized,i have a full valid VIN from saleen on mine.Like said they are pretty ,much stock GT's besides Racecraft suspension,and depending on model they have gears mine came with 3:55's.I have only seen one other then mine.I think that there fairly rare,forgot how many they built.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Oval:
Yup,i own one.they are serialized,i have a full valid VIN from saleen on mine.

Really? Thats news to me. None of the California Edition cars appear in either of the three Saleen Registry books I own.

[ January 08, 2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: SALEENx5 ]

940sick3
CAFords OG
Member # 2713

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 940sick3  Ford pictures for 940sick3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -  -

http://ww.collectorcarads.com/addetail.asp?CarID=8232 for more info...

--------------------
87 5.0 LX coupe
68 Falcon futura sports coupe

Posts: 552 | From: everywhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup!i think i may have a pic of the vin if you would like to see.all look
Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com