Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cams for 4.6L ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cams for 4.6L ???
GT_R
¯
Member # 4941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT_R  Ford pictures for GT_R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got a 2004 gt, what are some good cams for the 4.6L and hp gain??? looking to buy cam with no head work. just tune. 5-speed with 3:73 gears

[ December 23, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: GT_R ]

--------------------
--Bottle not required--

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
soo, wanna keep upper motor stock and just add cams? might not be worth the cost of parts and labor for the slight gains you'll see. [Confused]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

97HEADSWAP
¯
Member # 4046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97HEADSWAP  Ford pictures for 97HEADSWAP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
262AH comp cams would be great for your car. They are dyno proven to add 22rwhp to bolt on GT's, without headwork. They are .540/.550 lift, 224/226 duration @.050 w/ a 110 LSA.
Posts: 51 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cams are a good upgrade but the cost of putting them on are very pricey.... around a 800-1200 for install and then you have to pay for the cams at 600 that is a lot of money... there are many upgrades much more worthwhile for much cheaper!!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.vtengines.com/main.htm

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

97HEADSWAP
¯
Member # 4046

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for 97HEADSWAP  Ford pictures for 97HEADSWAP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure what is meant by much cheaper and more worthwhile!!! No single mod cheaper than a cam will get you 22rwhp. It's all relative. Sure to gain 22rwhp with a cam you would need $529 for cams and up to $800 for labor=~$1,330. You aren't going to get this with any exhaust mod alone. Unless you go by magazine #'s. The way I see it. JBA headers$600(8rwhp), magnaflow ct back$440(4rwhp), magnaflow cat-x$489(8rwhp)=20rwhp total + install=$500, for a grand total of=$1,529. Sure A cam install is expensive, but is definately worthwhile.
Posts: 51 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 97HEADSWAP:
I'm not sure what is meant by much cheaper and more worthwhile!!! No single mod cheaper than a cam will get you 22rwhp. It's all relative. Sure to gain 22rwhp with a cam you would need $529 for cams and up to $800 for labor=~$1,330. You aren't going to get this with any exhaust mod alone. Unless you go by magazine #'s. The way I see it. JBA headers$600(8rwhp), magnaflow ct back$440(4rwhp), magnaflow cat-x$489(8rwhp)=20rwhp total + install=$500, for a grand total of=$1,529. Sure A cam install is expensive, but is definately worthwhile.

NX kit jetted for 100 shot should get ya about 80-90rwhp, install yourself and your looking at about 1100-1300 bucks for NX with gen-x upgrade and remote opener. [patriot]

p.s. dont forget its not A CAM, its camS [Wink]

[ December 23, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the VT or Comp cams. There both worth around 22-24. www.modulardepot.com sells both cams and has info on them so you can pick the best one for what you want.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well your right, i have heard that longtubes give you just as much but around the same price.... you might want to look at upgrading your suspension as well. Horspower is all good but suspension is as important or more!! something to think about?

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com