Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help with mass air conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with mass air conversion
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just got done with the mass air conversion and I'm pretty sure I connected all the wires correctly. Car is running really rough and wont idle by itself. How long does the computer take to "learn" its new setup? Also the newer computer is out of a auto and I have a 5psd.. doesa this affect anything? also I have a c&l meter setup for 30lb injectors with the stock injectors in ther. would this cause bad problem like this?? please help
thanks

Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no learning time. Should be instant. Auto vs. 5 speed is just a different timing slope. My 5.0 went faster with the auto computer. Your problem lies in the injector set-up. Those little injectors aren't giving enough fuel to keep it idleing. reason: the c&l is telling the injector to stay open only long enough to keep the assumed 30lb at a perfect mixture. Now it's recieving too much air and not enough fuel. I'd bet there isn't much dark smoke coming out the rear. Do you have a stock mass-air lying around?

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
apparently I might have overlooked the ground connection wheniunhooked the computer so that may be it...I unhooked the mass air and it did the same thing...hmm ill have to get some stock parts i guess to figure it out
Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No dude, you need to run a meter calibrated for your injectors UNLESS you are running 24# injectors like me. I have the 73 C&L with the 19# sample tube because it wouldn't idle with the 24 tube in there. You need to put the 19# sample tube back in the meter or your problem will never get better. Connect the ground wire too, but you NEED the proper sample tube.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com