Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » are dumps legal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: are dumps legal?
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i really haven't gotten a definate answer on this but will a cop pull you over for not having tailpipes what's the law on this?I really don't care about smog i'll just throw the tailpipes back on.

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its leagal, awhile ago someone on here posted a link to a Cali website that had the info. I know that some smog shops dont do it due to the possibility of the sensor falling out and getting mashed in the rollers.

I have them on my 94gt and have never had a problem with them for the entire 1+ year that Ive had them. Ive even been next to cops at stop lights and talking to some with out them even glancing my way.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have them on my 88, no problems

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as the exhaust exits behind the last door it is legal on any vehicle.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have no tips at all, open mufflers, and the SMOG REF didn't say a word about them, they're completely legal, smog legal also.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smog law states you can not modify anything in front of the cat's. Cats back it's on you can do whatever you want.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are legal. My last 2 smog checks with my '88 Droptop had dumps and they didn't say anything. Both were different places and 1 was test-only.
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Law says that Exhuast Fumes are not to me Exited under neath the Passenger area of the vehical. So on Mustangs it IS ILLEGAL to have Dumps. Just about the only Vehical out there that it is leagal is on a truck exiting under the bed area. I have a Tahoe and got pulled over for it and the cop even pulled out his little book of codes and showed me the code. He didn't give me a ticket but just told me to get it fixed. I had it exiting after the last door and pointing to the ground but since the tahoe is compartment space all the back. It is gona be a descresion call on the officers part, just like the front license plate, you are suppose to have it but how many cars on JUST this site don't have front license plates?

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any confirmation or police officer on this board?im confused half say it's legal then others say it isn't? [Confused]

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its legal.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like I said it is legal if your exhuast is NOT exiting under the passenger area of your Vehical. If it IS exiting under the passenger are it IS ILLEGAL.

so Yes and No.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i beleive mine exit right behind the backseat.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is LEGAL. The vehicle code has more info on what you can and can't do. It can come down to the discretion of the Officer though. The main thing is that no fumes get into the compartment do to the dumps. I don;t remember the VC# off the top of my head. Sorry!
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
27154. The cab of any motor vehicle shall be reasonably tight
against the penetration of gases and fumes from the engine or exhaust
system. The exhaust system, including the manifold, muffler, and
exhaust pipes shall be so constructed as to be capable of being
maintained and shall be maintained in a reasonably gastight
condition.

thats about the only applicable law I see, maybe im looking in the wrong sectin?
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/veh.html
its Ch. 5, Article 2

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
stroked50
¯
Member # 4592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stroked50  Ford pictures for stroked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have dumps on my 89. They've been on there for 4 years, been pulled over over several times..... none for exhaust. I've even had it smogged....no problem. The only problem I had was noise because i got a 331 with headers and a bassani x. No tickets though. My friend works for the San leandro p.d. and he says they're legal. I don't even have turn downs. It's just 2 chamber flows with nothing at the end and a 2 1/2 in. exhaust.
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ZPYRO35,
That is the correct VC. So like I posted before, it is legal. Take my word for it!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com