Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need to know how to roll fenders

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to know how to roll fenders
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sick65  Ford pictures for 1sick65    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What has to be done to roll fenders for tire clearance? Thanks Nick

[ December 14, 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: baggins ]

Posts: 1457 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a buddy and a wooden bat...put the bat between the fender and tire and have your buddy drive the car (slowly) forward and back...good luck
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or you could buy the tool to to it right, Eastwood makes one and i think it costs around 200 bux. You should check out their website

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use a bat or an axehandle, don't drive the car though, just slowly bend the panel in.

be careful not to bend it too far and accidentally crack the paint

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make small cuts every half inch with a pancake cutter into the fender lip all the way around the fender. Cut until you reach an area that allows for the most clearance without being seen from the out board side of the fender. Than scribe a line through the paint just outside of your cut marks. This will keep the paint from flaking/cracking past your cut marks. Than take a hammer and flatten the cut portions one at a time until they are all folded up against the inside of the fender. Doing this will make certain you get the absolute most clearance without distorting the fender. For a finishing touch if you prefer a finished look bondo over the cut portion. You can use this method on the rear or in the front. If your doing the front than don't cut the portion of the fender lip that the fender liner mounts on. If theres no fender liner than cut all the way around as you did in the rear. Works like a charm everytime. Baseball bats can work though if you are not extremely careful you will distort the fender. You won't get as much clearance by simply bending the fender material up with this method. Good luck
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
NvrEnough89GT
¯
Member # 5086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrEnough89GT  Ford pictures for NvrEnough89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is a pancake cutter? I need to do this as well to fit 18s and I like your idea. [patriot]

--------------------
89 LX

Posts: 224 | From: Union City Ca | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by onesicklx:
get a buddy and a wooden bat...put the bat between the fender and tire and have your buddy drive the car (slowly) forward and back...good luck

ahahah.ghetto [Whoo Whooooo!] [worship] [worship] im hella laughing. thats hella crazy dude.

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used a bat too.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This without the shield installed

-

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used the bat and even used a maglight. Ghetto or not it works.
I will say that cutting is the best way by far!

[ December 17, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
This without the shield installed

-

Isn't that just a cut off wheel that can have the heads changed to sand, grind, ect.?

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Make small cuts every half inch with a pancake cutter into the fender lip all the way around the fender. Cut until you reach an area that allows for the most clearance without being seen from the out board side of the fender. Than scribe a line through the paint just outside of your cut marks. This will keep the paint from flaking/cracking past your cut marks. Than take a hammer and flatten the cut portions one at a time until they are all folded up against the inside of the fender. Doing this will make certain you get the absolute most clearance without distorting the fender. For a finishing touch if you prefer a finished look bondo over the cut portion. You can use this method on the rear or in the front. If your doing the front than don't cut the portion of the fender lip that the fender liner mounts on. If theres no fender liner than cut all the way around as you did in the rear. Works like a charm everytime. Baseball bats can work though if you are not extremely careful you will distort the fender. You won't get as much clearance by simply bending the fender material up with this method. Good luck

This is the best way to roll your fenders. I used tin snips instead of a pancake cutter.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com