Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » pilot bearing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: pilot bearing
cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there any special trick in getting out the pilot bearing? The one in my car seems to be stuck. i tried that tool that is supposed to hammer it out but no luck. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone here told me about this and it worked. Wet a bunch of toilet paper and fill it in all in and around the pilot bearing. Get the right sized socket to fit inside the pilot bearing hole and hit it with a mallet. The force of the water in the soaked tp gathers beind the bearing and forces it out.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
87thriller
¯
Member # 5002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87thriller  Ford pictures for 87thriller    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to kragen and rented there pilot bearing puller for $6.00 ........remember theres to small slots in the pilot bearing that those pullers grip into when your pulling it out. Good luck [patriot]
rudeone707
¯
Member # 3457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rudeone707  Ford pictures for rudeone707  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, dont use toilet paper or grease. you will just hae a big mess on your hand. I know a guy who works in a shop and he tells me worst case scenario on these bearings was using a pneumatic saw blade to cut into the bearing(being careful not to hit the crank)then they would chisel the rest out. In my own personal experience, I didn't have a pneumatic saw so i drilled out each side of the bearing and chiselles it out.

--------------------
agp707.com

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rudeone707:
Dude, dont use toilet paper or grease. you will just hae a big mess on your hand. I know a guy who works in a shop and he tells me worst case scenario on these bearings was using a pneumatic saw blade to cut into the bearing(being careful not to hit the crank)then they would chisel the rest out. In my own personal experience, I didn't have a pneumatic saw so i drilled out each side of the bearing and chiselles it out.

This sounds like what i am going to have to do [Frown]
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A run of the mill slide hammer kit should do the job. Just heat that bitch up and yank it out.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
A run of the mill slide hammer kit should do the job. Just heat that bitch up and yank it out.

That is what i was using. how do you heat it up and wouldn't that make it expand creating a tighter fit.
sdnme
Member # 5076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sdnme  Ford pictures for sdnme    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a persistant on on my 93 5.0 took a bar of soap and cut chunks and start forcing them in with a hammer and 1/2 extension, came out in about 3 minutes
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plasma Cutter. 'nuff said! [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com