Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » copper in filter AGAIN

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: copper in filter AGAIN
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well today I cut my oil filter open and it was full of copper again.The first time I sent it back to Keith Craft he said the crank was pushed forward. So when I got it back I bought a new converter and checked it twice to make sure this didn't happen again.So what could have done it this time? I primed the oil pump , I let it warm up every time I drove it , It has about 1hr run time here plus a dyno tune at Keith Crafts shop. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang
410w 11:1 c-4 592fwhp 560fwtq

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For what its worth I had a similar problem with a 427-W. Traced it back to lack of a baffle in the oil pan. Was making lots of foam and the air wasn't getting the job done with the result that peeled bearings down to the copper backing. Check a couple of your inserts, if there are pin holes it is a sure sign of air in the oil.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did they do your heads as well? If so, I'm willing to bet the shims/washers on the springs are the problem. I had a set once that they "forgot" to grind the edge off the inner spring. It dug right into the shim, creating a TON of copper through my engine. [Frown]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would get my money back and go somewhere else that actually knows how to build engines. Kieth Kraft may have good customer service, but you already sent the engine back one time to many. [BS flag]
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL a place that knows how to build engines [Roll Eyes] . They are oviously saying they weren't the problem the first time buy telling you the crank was pushed forward. Did you actualy get to see a pic or did they send you the last wasted thrust bearing? Are you running the steel spacer between the tranny and engine?

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Did they do your heads as well?
yes, is there a easy way to find out if this is the problem?

quote:
i would get my money back and go somewhere else that actually knows how to build engines. Kieth Kraft may have good customer service, but you already sent the engine back one time to many.
I may just try that.

quote:
They are oviously saying they weren't the problem the first time buy telling you the crank was pushed forward. Did you actualy get to see a pic or did they send you the last wasted thrust bearing? Are you running the steel spacer between the tranny and engine?

to your first question, no he fixed it for free so I didn't pry. And yes to the second question.I also made sure that the converter did not bind.

Its sad I walked around work today like my dog died. [Mad]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could this be left over copper from the first time?

[ December 08, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: JOSH ]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com