Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 91 5.0 failed smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 91 5.0 failed smog
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is "NO2" or something like that, it failed that part of the test at 15 mph. just need a quick answer. thanks.
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
co is carbon monoxide....
nox is (i think) noxious fumes

if the numbers were close .... you can get it to pass w/ lots of octane and a really hot car.

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Mario@Strictly-Motorsports
¯
Member # 381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mario@Strictly-Motorsports  Ford pictures for Mario@Strictly-Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOX means that your cats are basically toast.

--------------------
Mario

Posts: 221 | From: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks alot guys, really appreciate it! [Smile]
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nox is Oxides of Nitrogen also referred to as photochemical smog. It is caused by high combustion chamber temps common to todays fuel injected cars. They invented EGR valves and Catalytic converters to fight it. Post all your readings even O2 and I will tell you your problem. Good Luck

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nox is mostlikely a faulty egr

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Won't a bottle of isopropyl alchohol in the tank help solve this?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I had to smog my 1990 5.0 lx I was running a Bassani high flow (only 2 high flow cats)x pipe.

What exhaust are you running?

I passed everything except NOX.I ran the codes from the computer and found out that my egr sensor was reading higher volts than it should be. So I used a voltmeter tested it out and it was higher than specs, I used the directions from a Chilton to test it. I replaced it and ran it through the smog again....didn't pass, still high on NOX levels. Then I just said fuck it put on my stock h-pipe and passed fine. What I'm trying to say is if your running an aftermarket exhaust system, maybe you just need to put on your stock h-pipe, because your cats on the aftermarket exhaust aren't doing their job well enough.

Good Luck [patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

thanks for all the replies. the car has almost completely stock exhaust except for some perf. mufflers.
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 347 passes no problem with a basani x and high flow cats. If all your systems are working right and the cats are good you will pass right no problem. Post all your readings.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys im having the same problem with my 92
i have i replaced the cats, put new egr,exhaust system is pretty much stock with flowmaster mufflers ived taken it to the smog shop 3 times and its now considered a groos poluter does anyone know of a good shop in stockton that can find the problem and fix it right i have until 12-12-04 to do this

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by migs66/92:
hey guys im having the same problem with my 92
i have i replaced the cats, put new egr,exhaust system is pretty much stock with flowmaster mufflers ived taken it to the smog shop 3 times and its now considered a groos poluter does anyone know of a good shop in stockton that can find the problem and fix it right i have until 12-12-04 to do this

Do you know where the mercedes dealership is in stockton off of west lane.

Angkor body and paint?

Anyways there is a place called valley Differentials right there.

I'll be there today if you wish I can take a look at it and see whats the deal.....Can even smog it next door if you wish but it must pass the sniffer though no hook ups. My name is Sal btw.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey thanks fostang yeah i can make it what time?? pm me please and ill give you my cell # so we can talk thanks again

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought your o2 senssors had somehting to do with that. I could be wrong.
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

i put new ones also and it went from bad to worse

--------------------

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EGR

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com