Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Coolent leak problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Coolent leak problem
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, so last night I was driving and I see a 05 GT, so me and this GT were racing a little (i was ahead..), there was a truck in front of me so i slow down. Me an my friend start to smell coolent. Then I look down and see my coolent light came on. So we pull over to a gas station and see a puddle of coolent under my car, so we pop the hood and there is coolent steam every where. I turn off the car and open the coolent resevoir (sp?) and its bone dry. We put some water in it and fill it up again. Start the car and no leak. Then I turn my heater on (it was on b4). and It still doesnt leak. My friend said to give it a little gas, then a little bit after that it starts leaking, only after i revved it up. So i shut it off again, put more water in, turn off the heater, then drive it down the street to my friends apt. It didnt leak on the way back but i kept the rpms very low and didnt use the heater. He has a 97 GT also and his heater core went out on him, but it leaked all the time, on or off, and usually when heater cores go its wet in the passenger side floor. Some one on stangnet said it sounds the same as when their intake manifold cracked over the #4 cylinder. Any help will be appretiated. Thanks.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does/Did the carhave any smoke from the exhaust?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not that I noticed, no. It idles fine too.
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you visaully see where the leak is? Do a leakdown test on the cylinders, you might have popped a headgasket, or it might be a lower intake gasket

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

cant see a leak. but... when i squeeze the upper radiator hose i hear a noise sounding like its comming from the intake manifold... but still see nothing from the top of the engine. only see leak under the car at the back of the engine...
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTSLN97:
cant see a leak. but... when i squeeze the upper radiator hose i hear a noise sounding like its comming from the intake manifold... but still see nothing from the top of the engine. only see leak under the car at the back of the engine...

If it's visual then probably not a leakdwn problem can you check the back of the motor at all i.e. on a lift, on jacks, etc

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

put it on some jack stands and still cant c n e thing. too much shit in the way.cant get directly under it because of hot coolent on floor and dripping onto me
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I forget the size fitting but you can by a bypass fitting for the heater core hoses if that is the problem. I have on in my glove box just in case

Both my stangs have had a heater core go out.

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

i believe they sell a pressurizing kit Kragen to find out leaks in cooling systems and i also know they have newer kits that use "dye" additive and a black light for leaks.....

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

i did bypass the heated core, and it still leaked like before. when i was under the car i noticed that the coolant was comming from between the front of the transmission bellhousing and the back of the oil pan. i also noticed that there was some coolant in the intake manifold valley. this is fustrating.....FUCK

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com