Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much hp from a Vortech T-trim

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How much hp from a Vortech T-trim
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In a near future I would like to install a Vortech T-trim on my 01 mustang,,since I have a bullet proof block,,I want to get the most out of it,,Without porting my heads or adding cams,,whats the most horsepower i could get with that blower using 91 octane fuel?
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you be using any type of inter/aftercooler or water/methnol injection? What compression ratio is the shortblock?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not too sure about the T trim specifically but it seems like that would be a less efficient blower for your non-ported but fully built motor than say another trim (S, SQ) etc.

The reason i say that is because on 91 pump that will probably be the limiting factor for utmost timing and fuel curves. Also would depend upon your fuel set-up situation.

It's obviuos that the blower could put out lots of CFM but w/o the proper amount of fuel for safety you would be cutting down the efficiency of the big blower by not having the heads/cams to flow the same rate throught the motor.

Granted you could i'm sure make over 400+ but on 91...if you wnet up in boost you'd probably have to sacrifice a lot of timing to keep it safe?

Hope i make some sense and this is all from previous experience and learned info about forced induction.

I'm sure there is a compressor map just like for turbos that could be read to figure out where exactly all that power would be useful and w/ type of fuel octane and timing.....i just haven't researched that for blowers...

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are we talking a GT or Cobra. I know there was a cobra that year and I think a GT as well. Not sure though. Let me know.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a gt with a built motor for nitrous/pump gas

the motor was built for a large nitrous hit so the rings gap is gonna be huge, its gonna be atleast 10:1, so not real blower friendly with pump gas

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ring Gap on Blower motors is as large or larger than with NOS. That should not be a issue. With that high of compresion you will have to be careful on the tune. I am going to sound like a broken record here but you could run a alch/water injection unit and saftley run some pretty good boost. on stock engines figure 10 HP per every pound of boost on modified engines it can be 13 to 17 HP per pound of boost, These are rough guess figures I have read.

[ November 25, 2004, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
Ring Gap on Blower motors is as large or larger than with NOS. That should not be a issue. With that high of compresion you will have to be careful on the tune. I am going to sound like a broken record here but you could run a alch/water injection unit and saftley run some pretty good boost. on stock engines figure 10 HP per every pound of boost on modified engines it can be 13 to 17 HP per pound of boost, These are rough guess figures I have read.

[worship] water injection!

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
I'm not too sure about the T trim specifically but it seems like that would be a less efficient blower for your non-ported but fully built motor than say another trim (S, SQ) etc.

Agreed. The S-trim would be a much better choice for your combo.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I am going to sound like a broken record here but you could run a alch/water injection unit and saftley run some pretty good boost.

Water doesn't compress...If used incorrectly it will jack your motor...I mean, you would have to use a lot of water, but I still don't like the idea...It's kinda like a poor mans intercooler...Plus an intercooler is always there, you don't have to worry about running out of water/alch....

Yeah, I would just pulley down an S-trim for your combo...

Just my .02

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black and Gold you obvously don't know how the systems work. You hardly use any of the mix and systems have alams so unless you are a complete moron you will never run out. These kits are highly thought out and designed and run on some of the fastest cars around they are really popular on turbo vehicals. Any how it isn't your grandpa's water injection. Plus last time I checked Gass doesn't compress in liquid form either.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gas will ignite water doesn't...

ANYWAY, without getting into a heated detate it still doesn't change the fact that you either have to rely on pressureized tanks or pumps to run a water injection system...

I've looked into getting a water injection kit for my Merkur for a while and after reading a lot of info I just felt that an intercooler would be a better choice, especially for me....

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

As long as the car is tuned CORRECTLY if the water injection system were to run out of fluid there should not be any negative affects on the motor other than a loss of power.

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
As long as the car is tuned CORRECTLY if the water injection system were to run out of fluid there should not be any negative affects on the motor other than a loss of power.

Exactly becasue you wouldn't want to be running that close to the threshold of breaking as far as tune goes w/o the water inj. anyway........i would always prefer to run an inter/after cooler in comparison to H20 inj. if at all feasable.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

I run a 50/50 mix of water and methonal it ignites. I guess a 1500 dollar intercooler for my car plus the battery relocation kit would have been alot better than the 300.00 dollars I have invested in my boost cooler, but I am very happy with the way I went. Plus I like the extra HP and more boost I get out of doing it the way I did [Wink]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:

This is quite true. If you were to run out of water/meth your air intake temps would rise. Thus a properly tuned car would have it's timing verses air intake values set up for such a situation. In other words as temps leave the 80 degree or so range which is normal for an intercooler/water injected car the chip would simply reach an air temp range where timing is reduced.

Each method of cooling air intake charges has it's downfalls. Water to air such as a Vortech aftercooler can suffer from heat soaking the water after prolonged use. Air to air coolers can suffer from extremely hot days and of course water injection requires the re-fill of the storage tank. You can't beat the cost of water injection. It is reliable. As reliable as any other system which requires a pump to move fluid. Included in most good systems is a LED which lights up when the system is active. No light no cooler basically. Some people want a no fuss cooling system. Basically air to air is the only thing not requiring any up keep. Water to air is close though you will need to fill the storage tank from time to time.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

I'd consider this as what I would do in your situation. If no air intake cooler is present I'd stick to a S-trim. If you are running some sort of a cooler a T-trim would be what I would buy. As far as horsepower #'s go it depends on what you end up with both blower trim letter and also if a cooler is present

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertTS  Ford pictures for RobertTS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My engine was not exactly built for nitrous,,my compression is 9.2:1..so Its basically the stock compression.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
I run a 50/50 mix of water and methonal it ignites. I guess a 1500 dollar intercooler for my car plus the battery relocation kit would have been alot better than the 300.00 dollars I have invested in my boost cooler, but I am very happy with the way I went. Plus I like the extra HP and more boost I get out of doing it the way I did [Wink]

Mmm, I paid $30 for a Volvo 740 intercooler at the junk yard for my force fed engine...I won't have to relocate my battery either... [Big Grin]

To each their own!.. [patriot]

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

why don't you post some pics and some performance numbers. I would really like to see how it turned out and what results you are getting thanks. Do you think a intercooler designed for a turbo 4 cyl is going to be enough for a supercharged V-8?

[ November 26, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Water does ignite at fairly high temps. It also compresses....just not very easily. Probably due to the oxygen in it. Ever wonder why a water contaminated brake system gives you a squishy pedal? [Wink]

The water/meth setups are highly effective when tuned correctly. They also make for a very clean motor! I'm all for those setups.....although in my case I'd rather spend the $300 on 100octane. [Smile]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
why don't you post some pics and some performance numbers. I would really like to see how it turned out and what results you are getting thanks. Do you think a intercooler designed for a turbo 4 cyl is going to be enough for a supercharged V-8?

As soon as I install the Volvo or whatever intercooler I would love to take some pics and post results...Right now I would be happy to find the time to even fix a T-stat housing leak and even wash the damn car!...

To answer your question, intercoolers are designed to run at certain CFM, whatever gives you the best cooling with minimal pressure drop is what you should use...I think my 3" inlet and outlets with a core bigger than my radiator should cool my intake charge, but I'll probably loose atleast a few pounds of boost...But that's why I made my own "OSH special" boost controller... [Wink]

[patriot]

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

extra HP for me then just buy adding water/meth [Wink]

[ November 27, 2004, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd like to see some data on the combustion of H20, also it's compressability.

The last doc I saw on the compressability of water performed in a laboratory showed around 0.0001% compression for something like a million tons per square inch. So yes, technically compressible.

Combustible? Combustible in terms of super-plasma like temperatures and pressure?

Otherwise, water is most assuredly non-combustible. Once disassociated into hydrogen and oxygen, by definition it is no longer water.

my $0.01

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com