Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how to heat up tires with ABS?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how to heat up tires with ABS?
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i tried to do a brake stand to heat up my DR's and the car stalls out. Had the T/C off too, any ideas on how to smokem up real nice?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol, how many more oats? figured a 03 Cobra would have no problems, or is it driver error? [Embarrassed]

[ October 27, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------

87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rev it higher or lay down some water, got to be fast with the cluch!

--------------------
BEAT YA

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by 87mustang:
rev it higher or lay down some water, got to be fast with the cluch!

ah ha, im so use to driving around the water box that i didnt get the tires wet! try that next time. [patriot]

--------------------

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
They way i do mine(not necessarily the right way)is back into the water spin the tires over lightly roll fwd and wait for the track cat to motion do your thing..then i rev it real high, dump the clutch, and quick on the brake with left foot, and gas it high off the limiter just until you know youve added enough power to keep them burning appling enough brake to keep you there and watch the tach to keep it in the sweet spot. Thats basically what i do although its rather abussive..esp on the back brakes. If i had a car as nice as yours, i might be a bit less abussive but thats why i drive my old beater. [patriot]

[patriot]

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the fuse for the ABS.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be gentle though, the stock IRS could wheel hop on you if it grabs too much. Shearing half shafts sucks.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Be gentle though, the stock IRS could wheel hop on you if it grabs too much. Shearing half shafts sucks.

Yup...don't feel bad i did the same thing the other night in the rain and obviously didn't rev it high enough and when the rpm's dropped i felt it start to hop a little and quickly got out of it. [Frown]

What 88 said is exactly how i've done it in all my RWD cars....excpet i need to go even higher up the rpm range w/ this car [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought 2003 Cobras had a solid rear axle?

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
I thought 2003 Cobras had a solid rear axle?

1998 was the last year of a solid axle for the Cobra.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is the first time I have heard of a 03 Cobra that cannot spin its tires. I have no problem roating the 285's on my non blown 01 cobra [burnout]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off don't pull the fuse for the abs there's no need to do it. Do what Rhett said back into the water put it in first spin the tires real quick to get out of the box then put it in second bring the R's up to 4k and drop the clutch put your foot on the brake and feed the gas in, keep the R's in the upper 5k range. When the tires start grabbing you will feel it and see your rpm's start dropping, feed in a little more gas to keep it up let off the brake and drive it up to the line.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
This is the first time I have heard of a 03 Cobra that cannot spin its tires. I have no problem roating the 285's on my non blown 01 cobra [burnout]

Never said i couldnt spin the tires [burnout] just never wanted to do a brake stand before. Still getting use to the car when it comes to abusing it! [Frown] [Embarrassed]

[ October 31, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------

1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With drag radials go around the water. Rev to 5k and pop the clutch and grab the brake. Make sure you arent to far away from the water pit because if you try to do it in the sticky area it will be much harder and probably cause the car to go sideways or stall. I did second gear burnouts with my stock mach1 on dragradials(no water) with no problem. It just takes practice. SLP makes a bolt in linelock that will make your life easier, i am getting one for next season.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com