Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how much to port heads?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how much to port heads?
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jus wondering..wanting to port some non pi heads. heard they flow better than pi ported heads. and i wouldnt have to change my intake. so anyone know?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$400 for a light clean up, just get a super charger [Razz]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont have the money for a supercharger...or else i would get that. the last few things imma do is p/p heads, maf, 24#injectors. thats probably it for a LONG time.
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swing by the shop in my sig, we'll port the whole head but concentrate on more areas then others. give us a call and will give you a quote. just tell 'em what you want.

[ October 22, 2004, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

what would i tell them??
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue97GT:
what would i tell them??

What you want done to the heads. Do some reading first, maybe even some smog legal cams.

check out patriot heads.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

sal...what would you port them to?? yeah i have seen the patriot heads but will only fit a PI intake..not mine. so itd be almost 2grand for both..id rather be s/c instead of that...i jus dont know what to tell the shop?? [Confused] any of you guys have any suggestions?
kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Angie at Dave's Machine Shop in Fremont. (510) 797-9536

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=022382

[Big Grin]

Dave's got a good machine shop

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue97GT:
jus wondering..wanting to port some non pi heads. heard they flow better than pi ported heads. and i wouldnt have to change my intake. so anyone know?

Just curious, when you refer to non pi-heads are you referring to stock 96-98 heads or are you talking about the FRPP heads(aka SVO heads, motorsport heads)??
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

naw stock 96-98 heads..not svo
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see it as a wast of cash, im sure you have read a few post here or their that say they got power from porting, But think about it, how many company advertise nonpi heads kicking ass, everything is base on PI heads

just save your cash and buy a built PI long block, or get blower, or cheap powerr NOS kit
and get the car properly tuned

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id just get the PI conversion kit. Ive seen it for 1200 in the mags. If you do want to get them ported Daves is the only place id go. My buddy had his heads done thier and saw some great numbers out of them.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1WICKEDmach:
Id just get the PI conversion kit. Ive seen it for 1200 in the mags. If you do want to get them ported Daves is the only place id go. My buddy had his heads done thier and saw some great numbers out of them.

he can probably find a swap kit for 400 bucks if he really looks and is patient, and to get the power gains out of porting non PI heads that shit is goin to run him some $$$$ probably more then a PI swap,

looks like he wants cheap power, and the best route is NOS 500 bucks for a nice kit.

head porting from a good shop 1000 just for labor
thats if you bring in the heads, if he dont now how to remove and install the parts him self well good luck thats 1000 minum at a shop

not to mention head gaskets and new bolts, fuilds

hey just get your self a ZEX kit with a timeing adjuster and you will be set
you will probably spend 500-700 bucks depending how patient you are when looking for used kits.
this will get you the best power increase, will it blow up your motor, Yes if you get gready and run anything over 125shot

hope this helps u out

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
J.
¯
Member # 2820

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.  Ford pictures for J.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Angie at Daves machine is very good. It can cost a bit of $ but she does a very good job and know's her sh*t.
She will probable recommend a set of AFR's

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they don't have AFR's for a 4.6 yet. You would tell the place porting your heads what type of performance you want when they are finished,what cams you are going to run and accesories gears stuff like that.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man I wouldn't touch non-PI heads with a 10 foot pole with the PI heads being available on a ford dealer's shelf for so little.

If you want to port something, port the PI's! [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
man I wouldn't touch non-PI heads with a 10 foot pole with the PI heads being available on a ford dealer's shelf for so little.

If you want to port something, port the PI's! [patriot]

if doing minor porting then PI's are the way to go, but the non PI heads actually do just as well or better when hogged out

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J.:
Angie at Daves machine is very good. It can cost a bit of $ but she does a very good job and know's her sh*t.
She will probable recommend a set of AFR's

AFR dosent make heads for the 4.6 mustang. Angie does swear buy the afr heads.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com