Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 WINDSOR into early stang?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351 WINDSOR into early stang?
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my new car will be a turbo efi old school mustang.

Im going to buy a 64-68 coupe and have looked at several.

First question what year is more accomdating as far as engine bay size? For a 351W swap? V-8 upgrade?

Second question anyone done a 351 swap in any of the years listed?

I know that MILES (RIP)had a twin turbo 5.0l or maybe it was a 351 dont remember...in a cougar

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with a 67-68 coupe, as the engine bays are a bit bigger.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks John. Seems to be that you can get alot better shape 67 or 68 coupe for the money than a 64-66.

I prefer the look of the 64-66 coupes over the 67-68 but I still love the look of the 67-68.

And of course there is the fastbacks but for the price differential I really dont like them that much more.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
67-up

I prefere 67' [Big Grin] some people know why. [Wink]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 351 in my 66 put it in 11 years ago only problem i had was putting in the headders but now they make headder kits its not that hard at all

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont you have to get special motormounts also so that the hood will clear.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you shouldnt have to mine has a stock hood and it didnt affect anything

--------------------

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a '66 w/ a 351 in it and like migs said...
only hasle was the headers. the shock towers are closer..but that was in '87 or '88 and i'm sure is more stuff available.

other than that...plenty of room.

how much are you looking to spend??? you can still get 6 cyl fastbacks for a reasonable price.

$6k-7k-ish... i know it's double what a clean coupe is , but would be a keeper for life.

there is also a '68 gt/cs thats been for sale forever...looks to be real..it's green.

cheap too...i'll find a link if i can

[ October 18, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: nitrous_bob ]

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put one in a 62 falcon (grandfather to the mustang) with a C-6 and 9" Versailles. Total weight is 2,940 lbs and I bought the falcon for $200. I like the look of the early 60 - 63 falcons but the Chevrolet Novas look really cool too through my rear view mirror.
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go for it you will not be disapointed.

--------------------
65 fastback mustang
410w 11:1 c-4 592fwhp 560fwtq

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

oh yeah falcons are kool to i had a 63 ranchero with a 351w c-6 and an 8 in rear man its was kool
right now i have a 62 two door station wagon thats waiting for a 5.0 as soon as i get my other projesct done

--------------------

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 9 of em. Mostly 60 to 63. My favorite has a 427-W. Big traction problems but I have smoked a couple of 454 big blocks. Somewhere I've got pics of the fuel injection install which is easy to do on the falcons. Typical V-8 with C-4 or AOD in the early 2 doors weigh in at 2800 lbs.
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

9 of them wow must be nice selling any????

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com