Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MOTR SWAP, OR DO I BUILD

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MOTR SWAP, OR DO I BUILD
TRUBLU46
¯
Member # 3272

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRUBLU46  Ford pictures for TRUBLU46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HAVE A 2003 GT, AND I WANT TO SUPERCHARGE, OR TURBO, HAVENT MADE UP MY MIND UP YET. WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THE STOCK BLOCK, BUILD OR REPLACE IT WITH A BUILD SHORT BLOCK, AND IF I REPLACE IT WERE DO I BUY A MODULAR SHORT BLOCK.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want something in a hurry then just supercharge it.or if you got the time and lots of money to put a turbo in than build it! [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and if its your daily driver i think you should go with a sc

[ October 15, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Eddie510 ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

TRUBLU46
¯
Member # 3272

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRUBLU46  Ford pictures for TRUBLU46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not going to charge a stock block, do you know were i could buy a built 4.6, if not is it cheaper just to build what i have, and i mean internally.
Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tryin2GoFast  Ford pictures for Tryin2GoFast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go pick up a mustang mag, anyone one of them. And you should find more than a few modular shortblocks to choose from. HCI and Big Boy are local shops that build mod motors. Try looking first.

--------------------
89 Notchback with H/C/I Totaled 5/04
90 Black LX Hatch 310/330 AFR/Perfromer/FTI Gettin sydways in a lane near you!

Posts: 278 | From: Fremont, Ca | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dss racing,Chp,D&D motorsports,Shm motorsports
carries short to long blocks.

--------------------
gt40

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HCI Motorsports in Sac. they build 500+ RWHP 2-valve blocks.

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
RACEERX
Member # 5612

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RACEERX  Ford pictures for RACEERX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.freewebs.com/raceerx to view a HCI Motorsports block thats putting out nearly 600 HP hit that link
Posts: 9 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my short block, everything forged with arp hardware from x2c for 3200..

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why do you want to rebuild it just to super charge it? The stock block should be able to handle the power as long as it isn't fucked up, you run too much boost, or don't tune it right.

If you need to have the motor done I would just buy one that is rebuilt instead of rebuilding yours. HCI is supposted to be really good for mod motors.

[ April 22, 2005, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
RACEERX
Member # 5612

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RACEERX  Ford pictures for RACEERX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
run over 8lb boost and cya later engine, and 8lbs isnt enough to tackle the vets. Get HCI engine job and crank out atleast 13lb boost and take the vets out.
Posts: 9 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are buying a block vt, x2c, or livernois motorsports are the only ones on Mod depot that have not had probs. If your getting one rebuilt HCI is the way to go. [patriot]
Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the x2c block.. i've beat the hell out of mine and it runs like a champ.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Why do you want to rebuild it just to super charge it? The stock block should be able to handle the power as long as it isn't fucked up, you run too much boost, or don't tune it right.

If you need to have the motor done I would just buy one that is rebuilt instead of rebuilding yours. HCI is supposted to be really good for mod motors.

with stock 2v mod motors, anything over 310 horse is a ticking time bomb.the stock rods are the weak part of the motor.go with a built short block and put all the boost u want to it [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
H.C.I did my shortblock..I have to swap out the manley h beam rods only cause they wont hold the power I am hoping to push but that is with any short block. Most company's use similar piston and rod combos the extra power is from good assembly and machining and and good tolerances you would be suprised who much more power you can make with a good assembled short block. Due to the fact that you dont have as much frictional losses..

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock 4.6's are time bombs when assembled/tuned incorrectly. I've put together several of them with Vortechs and Prochargers, the first being done 3+ years ago (still running stong today!) and the last only about 3 weeks ago. It's all in the tune and the driver. If you go out everyday looking to beat the snot outta it, be prepared for the end result.
I'm not saying they are the stongest assembly to SC, but they will take it in moderation. A straight 8psi or 10psi intercooled is fine.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com