Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » can I ask a few dumb questions?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: can I ask a few dumb questions?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where is the voltage regulator on my 89 lx 5.0?

and what are some symptoms of a bad one?

and is it internal or external?

[Confused]

90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Voltage Regulator is built into the Alternator. Bad one would be No Chargin/Intermittent Charging....at least thats what happened to mine when it went bad.

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start the car then disconnect the battery. If it dies after a few minutes, 10 or so, then you know your alternator is not working.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5OHS5OH:
Start the car then disconnect the battery. If it dies after a few minutes, 10 or so, then you know your alternator is not working.

I heard doing this is very bad for your car. Alt. was tested and came out good, so I guess that means the vot. reg. is good to.
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmn, I never heard that it was bad to do that. Does anyone know how bad ? I may have been messing shit up for years now.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

for some reason I was under the impression this will hurt the computer in the car....I could be wrong though.
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have done it many times...it shouldn't hurt anything....the only cars i wouldn't do it on are 96+

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it won't hurt anything....and keeping your batt disconnected for 15 minutes will reset the computer too...and clear any bogus codes out.

what is your car doing that you suspected a bad VR?

yes it's internal in the alt.

[ October 19, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: nitrous_bob ]

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
it won't hurt anything....and keeping your batt disconnected for 15 minutes will reset the computer too...and clear any bogus codes out.

what is your car doing that you suspected a bad VR?

yes it's internal in the alt.

after my 3g alternator upgrade I'm getting even less amps than the stock one. Car will die when coming to a stop and the battary needle is always in the red when at idle. If I hold the gas peddle to 900-1000 rpms the needle is up to halfway or the line above half way...let off the gas and it just drops like a rock. I got the alternator tested 3 times twice by Kragen and once with a volt meter at home...all of which the alternator passed with flying colors. Something is suckin up the power the alternator is putting out but I can't find it. [Confused] [Mad] [Frown]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
belt slipping?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the pulley one the new alternator the same size as the old one? sounds like a bigger pulley like with U/D pullies causing less charging at idle.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

belt is not slipping what so ever

as for the pully...its HELLA bigger than my stock one..but I sold my stock alternator. I did go to the junk yard and got another pully off a 5.0 motor but when putting that one on and tightening it down it will not spin. It just tightens down to the alternator. The back of the pully on the 3g alternator has a larger base on the back and the smaller pully I found at the yard doesn't have this larger base on the back so when I tighten it down it tightens flush. Anyone have a smaller pully I can have?

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the right size pulley and IMPACT it on!!!!!...

I thought you said you installed the smaller pulley with the right size belt and you still had the same problem? [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by BlackNGold:
Get the right size pulley and IMPACT it on!!!!!...

I thought you said you installed the smaller pulley with the right size belt and you still had the same problem? [Confused]

I hadn't tightend it all the way down do the the fact that it wouldn't spin in doing so...it was a dumb ass move...pully could have come flying off. There was a lock washer,...i think that was the only thing holding it on. How do I find out what the right pully is when I thought I already had the right pully?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try and find a Ford Motorsport anodized blue alt pulley to match your other pulleys...I'm sure ASP could help you...I really think it's just a pulley issue, because your alt charges fine at 950+ rpm....

Call ASP: http://www.aspracing.com/

(877) 928-8678, Toll Free Order Line
(281) 261-8845, Tech Line
(281) 261-5715, Fax Line
Order E-mail: customerservice@aspracing.com
Tech E-mail: asp@aspracing.com

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by BlackNGold:
Try and find a Ford Motorsport anodized blue alt pulley to match your other pulleys...I'm sure ASP could help you...I really think it's just a pulley issue, because your alt charges fine at 950+ rpm....

Call ASP: http://www.aspracing.com/

(877) 928-8678, Toll Free Order Line
(281) 261-8845, Tech Line
(281) 261-5715, Fax Line
Order E-mail: customerservice@aspracing.com
Tech E-mail: asp@aspracing.com

[worship] thank you!! I'll being calling the tech line shortly!
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

okay...they were kinda dumb...they said they could "MAKE" me one for $85. WTF is that?!?!?

First photo...look at the size of my alt. pulley!!!! Second photo is the size I need.

-

-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com