Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gear Install by myself

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gear Install by myself
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, here is the deal. I'm ballin' on a budget. I am looking to get some gears, but I HATE paying for someone else to work on my car. I personally, think its stupid. I understand why others do it, but I have done everything to my car from painting it, to custom fiberglass to the entire engine build up (from scratch) all by myself. So paying someone else is not something I'd do, unless absolutly necessary. How hard is this to do myself? Is it completely unreasonable? What would I need? What dangers do I face?

[ October 12, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can be done. However most people try to get someone else who knows what they are doing do their installation. too many things can go wrong.
PM JohnB, he seems to be knowledgeable and his rate is very reasonable.
Good luck with whatever decision you take.

--------------------
=(

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get ford motorsport gears and put everything back in without changing the shim placement. you'll have a good chance of them not whining

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah you really have to know what you are doing when doing a gear install. You have to have the right tools to do it correct. You need to make sure the pinon lash(I think thats what is is called) is Correct so there is the right amount of play on the gears or you may incounter some problems down the road. If you are gona do it yourself, make sure you do your homework and research it! I am just like you and want to do everything to my own car, piss on paying somebody else but there are somethings that are better left to have somebody else doing it. Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since you've already verified rod/main bearing tolerances, cam-thrust and crank-thrust tolerances, gapped and set rings, degreed the cam and properly torqued and set all the caps, oil pump, heads, intake, and accessories, I see no reason why you couldn't set the backlash on some gears and pour some diff fluid down the driveway.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To be honest with you, unless you've done it SEVERAL times...I wouldn't attempt it. It is VERY easy to screw up backlash, not to mention forgetting something and fubar'n the whole thing up. PM me, we'll chat. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ryan, take it to HCI while your at work one day, they did mine. -Rob
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
get ford motorsport gears and put everything back in without changing the shim placement. you'll have a good chance of them not whining

not true.each gear set needs shimming to get the correct gear pattern.each housing and gear set will have different clearences as no two are going to be indentical.you can however reuse the existing pinion bearing shim but not with the carrier shims
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
and pour some diff fluid down the driveway.

[worship]
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear gears are the only thing I never installed on my Mustang's...I might attmept it on my next Mustang, but I totally agree with John B....It's very easy to screw up the back lash...

Good luck!

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com