Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TIMING ADJUSTMENT NEEDED!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TIMING ADJUSTMENT NEEDED!!
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JUST FINISHED PUTTING ON MY EDELBROCK INTAKE MANIFOLD AND IT WAS A VACCUM LEAK THAT WAS CAUSING MY CAR TO BOG OUT. I GOT TDC AND THE CAR DOES IDLE BUT I HAVE NEVER DONE TIMING ON A 5.0 BEFORE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME TECH ADVISE OR IS IT MORE COMPLICATED THAT I THINK. CAN IT BE DONE WITH JUST A BASICE TIMING LIGHT. THANKS ALOT. ANTHONY
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure all vac. leaks are plugged. pull PIP little plastic plug like deal off of pigtail on dist wiring and point your light and have a look.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAN I LIVE IN HAYWARD I COULD SHOW U

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's real easy...takes 5 minutes tops...

and first off...for the $8.95 at sears a 1/2" distributor wrench is worth it's weight in gold...

although you can use a ratchet w/ ext. and universal (swivel)

off ther dist. is a SPOUT (spark output) plug.

either black or grey...about 6" wire off the dist. and ends at the plug.

start the car...take out the SPOUT

hook up light to battery and #1 plug wire (there is a 1 on the dist cap)

shoot the timing mark.....if you can't make out the numbers ...go under the car (after you shut it off [Smile] )

and mark the lines w/ chalk...then rub it clean..the chalk or crayon will stay in the lines and light up really well.

anyway...if your not happy w/ the timing...at least 12* loosen that 1/2 inch bolt on the distributor base...and adjust the dist until you like the timing.

just make sure you don't move it when you snug the bolt back down....it only takes a you-know-what hair to move it 1-2*

put the SPOUT back in and your good to go.

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com