Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Supercharger boost

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Supercharger boost
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it correct to say that if my boost guage is connected to the vacuum tree on the firewall right behind the steering wheel, that's "intake boost" and it reads lower than connecting it to the outlet of the unit itself?
If so, then connecting to the output will give me a more accurate reading?

Thanks in advance. [patriot]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any manifold vacuum source will give an accurate reading.
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i connected mine to the fitting on the tb. you know where the hose from the valve cover oil fill to the tb went. i used an adapter like the one used right behind the gauge to connect the line and a 2 inch piece of rubber hose.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeas and no, if u had 500 90's bends iun ur system, and the blower saw 50psi, but the intake only saw 8psi, what would u tune the car for
8psi

obviously that is exagerated but it demostrates my point

boost is not power, just a restriction, so where do u want to measure that, where the motor is sucking it in or where the blower is spitting it out

and think of it think way, either u will make 352rwhp at 8psi referenced at the manifold or 352rwhp at 11psi referenced at the blower [Razz]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
yeas and no, if u had 500 90's bends iun ur system, and the blower saw 50psi, but the intake only saw 8psi, what would u tune the car for
8psi

boost is not power, just a restriction, so where do u want to measure that, where the motor is sucking it in or where the blower is spitting it out

and think of it think way, either u will make 352rwhp at 8psi referenced at the manifold or 352rwhp at 11psi referenced at the blower [Razz]

Thanks for the great info. Only reason I'm asking is because from the tree, I only see about 3 1/2lbs. of boost at about 5k plus RPMs. My blower is older, rated from the factory at 5-6lbs of boost, but when it was rebuilt, the modified impeller was added at a rating of 1-2lbs of additional boost, if memory serves me correct. The unit in question is a Paxton SN2000.
Thanks, all. [patriot]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
quote:
8psi

Thanks for the great info. Only reason I'm asking is because from the tree, I only see about 3 1/2lbs. of boost at about 5k plus RPMs. My blower is older, rated from the factory at 5-6lbs of boost, but when it was rebuilt, the modified impeller was added at a rating of 1-2lbs of additional boost, if memory serves me correct. The unit in question is a Paxton SN2000.
Thanks, all. [patriot]

Yup thats the right amount of boost your seeing. 3.5 pounds possibly 4 just because of the boost not getting efficiently read from the vacuum tree.

[ October 04, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
quote:
8psi

Thanks, all. [patriot]

Yup thats the right amount of boost your seeing. 3.5 pounds possibly 4 just because of the boost not getting efficiently read from the vacuum tree.
Thanks...anyone else?

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i never said that the vaccumm tree was a good place for reference [Razz]

i woulkd want that gauge directly off the intake manifold

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use the vacumm tree on the firewall and i have seen almost 13 pounds on the guage when i was on the dyno so i believe that the spot is ok. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com