Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SALEEN OVERHEATS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SALEEN OVERHEATS
NINETY#FIFTY
¯
Member # 4866

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NINETY#FIFTY  Ford pictures for NINETY#FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MY CAR HAS 27K ORIGINAL MILES ON IT.IT BASICALLY SAT IN GARAGE FOR MOST OF ITS LIFE. STARTED AND DROVE AROUND FOR 5 TO 7 MILES EVERY TWO WEEKS.IT IS A 1990. I HAVE REPLACED FOLLOWING PARTS.

FORD RACING ALUMINUM RAD, 18 LBS CAP
FORD WATERPUMP/ GASKET
STOCK FORD THERMASTAT
ALL HOSES
HAS AFTER MARKET WATER PULLEY DONT KNOW WHAT SIZE

THE GUAGE IN CAR GOES HIGH AT IDLE WITHIN 15 MIN
ITS IN THE MIDDLE ON FREEWAY, WHERE SHOULD THE NEEDLE SIT WHEN STANG RUNS NORMAL? WHAT ELSE SHOULD I CHECK OR REPLACE?

--------------------
1990 #50 SALEEN 31K
1988 #363 SALEEN 68K
1993 #2572 COBRA 31k
1993 ACURA INTEGRA 102k
2014 HYUNDAI SONATA 171k

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replace the thermostat with a 180* or 185* since it's easy and cheap.

After driving (i.e. engine hot), squeeze the hose that goes into the top of the radiator (with the engine running) and see if you can feel the preasure build up. This should give you an idea if the water pump is flowing well or not.

You might try putting the stock water pump pulley back on too. Its smaller and so it will flow more water for a given rpm.

Last thing I'd recommend is getting an electric fan. It is more efficient than the stock fan, throttle response is better, it's a shit load quieter, your engine will get to operating temp. faster, its worth about 10 hp, and you'll get 1 or 2 mpg better gas mileage. Hope this helps

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try changing the water pump pulley back to stock diameter. Secondly check your fan clutch to make sure it is engauging as it should. When you spin the fan you should feel a good amount of tension or force in trying to turn it. Let us know what you find
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com