Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Creative thinking. Help!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Creative thinking. Help!
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone have a creative way to stop the PCV valve from letting oil into the upper intake without removing it completely? I want to keep the vacuum the valve allows but I want to get rid of the oil that it sucks up into the intake. There has got to be a way this can be done guys. Anyone tried anything creative that seemed to work? Does anyone know if this is even possible? Thank You in advance!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much oil are you talking about? The PCV system will draw a small amount of oil vapor no matter what, due to vaporization of the oil from the rotating components. When it has a chance to settle in an area of low turbulance, it will puddle slightly.

Is the screen underneath the valve (If it is a 5 liter) saturated with oil, or is it there at all? Do you have a lot of blowby?

Also, make sure that you have the correct size valve for your car - there are a bunch of different flow rates for the valve itself.

[ September 23, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: BlueOvalRacing ]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off is the oil baffle installed on the under side of the lower intake? Is the metal screen in place (clean) and is the pcv new or functioning as it should? Is the other side of the pcv system ran properly? Supercharged or N/A? If all of these things are functioning as they should you shouldn't have any problems on an N/A car or a car pushing 10 psi or less. Sometimes on supercharged cars pushing large amounts of boost I have run larger diameter hoses to allow more air to pass throughout the system. If this fails and you still need to keep the system closed for smog purposes than what I've also done in the past is to run an inline filter on each side to catch the oil but let the air pass through. In doing this keep in mind you'll have to either clean the filters regularly or replace them or you'll just end up with a clogged system and will either blow the dipstick out of the tube or blow the pcv out of its grommet. Hope this helps....
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I built an "air / oil seperator" for mine similar to what my old Isuzu Impulse had from the factory. I basically took a piece of 2" PVC and capped it at both ends. About 2/3rd of the way down on the side is a barbed fitting that goes to the PCV valve. On the top in another barbed fitting that goes to the intake. At the very bottom is a petcock that allows me to drain off any puddled oil. Inside the tube, above the inlet is - well, it's like SOS pad material but plastic. The idea is that incoming air (laden with oil) has to first make a 90^ turn (momentum will slam some of the oil droplets into the side wall) then it has to travel up through a filter like material (with will deposit even more of the oil droplets) then it finally gets to head off to the intake. I drain it every few weeks. This is on a SC car.

I've never been a fan of oil in the intake especially on a supercharged car. Oil will suck the octane rating out of your gas and increase the chances of detonation.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i made a homemade catch can. the nos octane booster bottles work great. drill two holes around the top, stick in 2 barb fittings and jb weld them on. get some vacuum line and stick it inline with the pcv hose. my car is n/a and fills up the cannister every week [Confused]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. This is for an N/A poweplant by the way; sorry about not stating that at first. There isn't a lot of oil but it does puddle in the upper intake and then gets sucked through the CC sometimes under WOT. I could see the smoke when I had tailpipes [Mad] . But the catch-can idea is great! If replacing the screen and valve itslef doens't solve my issue then I am going to use a catch and see if I can hide it where it isn't too noticeable but still be accessible for draining purposes. I knew I could count on my cafords family for creative thinking/help!

Thanks again [patriot]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll take pics of my catch can when i get a chance, its pretty funny looking. i made the hoses long enough so i can uncap it and pour the oil back in the valve cover, lol

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

I would actually like to see those pics. [patriot]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com