Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » timing? 10 or 12

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: timing? 10 or 12
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was thinkin to change my timing from 10 to 12 will i notice ne difference or is it not worth it,,

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blowfish  Ford pictures for Blowfish    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing is free horsepower. Crank it around till it starts to ping under load, then back it off a little. My 92 Mustang runs best about 14 degrees. Play with it , you will like it. The more octane in your fuel the more timing you can run. Good luck

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

Posts: 38 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do it, bring it to 14 [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blowfish:
The more octane in your fuel the more timing you can run. Good luck

not so true actually.
the more octane in your fuel...the more timing you NEED to run.
assuming your on pump gas...go for 14*
back it off to 12* when it's hot out.
and back to the octane thing....if you've ever run 110 on your motor at the track...sure you can bump up to 18* but if you don't...you run slower. and even at 18* you you don't see a difference. (at least i never have) the octane reduces the combustability or some scientific crap. point is...you have to run higher timing to achieve the same hp (and this is for street cars...not 12.5:1 track only trailer queens)

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will timing at 12 or 14 give me a quicker e/t? someone was tellin me that it will give me more top end but be sluggish on lower rpms . but i was thinkin it would be better because i run 91 octane i know the 5.0 only calls for 87. so thats why the stock timing is only at 10.... i think

--------------------
The anti-crew

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bumping the timing will make more hp period. low end...top end....whatever.

what you are changing...is the point at which the plug fires on that particular cylinder in the stroke.

the piston is in travel...if you fire too soon...you start to push the piston down too soon...and lose power....too late....and you don't force it down hard enough...and you lose power.

but.....10* is a good "balance" the less the safer...but less power.

the more the better..until you go too much and detonate....(your firing on the compression stroke
before it's fully compressed)

does that help at all??? or did i just ramble???

bottom line is...cool weather...run it healthy 14*-16* maybe ... best way is to do it at the track...if your mph goes up ... keep bumping it. don't look at your et....more mph = more power.
it's a more consistent way to monitor it.
when your mph slows...or you hear pinging...go back to where it was best. if you hear a ping...back off 2 * ..................
but you should slow your mph b4 you hear pinging...(detonation / spark knock)

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

THANX FOR THE INFO ,,, IMMA GIVE IT A TRY AT THE TRACK

--------------------
The anti-crew

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just put it at 14deg. and call it good, always run 91, and don't worry about it.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

I RAN THE CAR ON THE 6TH IT WAS AT 14* ON 91OCTANE IT RAN A 14.4 AT 97.5 MPH THEN IT WAS RAN ON 100 OCTANE WHERE IT RAN A 14.5 AT 96.2 MPH AND I COULDNT GET IT NE LOWER THNE FOLLOWED UP WITH A 14.6. MY 60FT ON THE 14.4 WAS 2.3 AND ON THE OTHERS IT WAS 2.2 I WAS SHIFTING BETTER THEN B4 YET RUNNIN SLOWER.. SOME DUDE WAS TELLIN ME THAT I MIGHT BE RUNNIN TOO RICH

--------------------
The anti-crew

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com