Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fitting a 90 5.0 in a 64 1/2?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fitting a 90 5.0 in a 64 1/2?
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 64 1/2 with a 260 and it needs to be replaced. I also have a 90 5.0 and I am thinking about dropping it in but don't know what all would need to be done.

Will the intake fit under the stock hood? If not what size cal hood would be needed?

Will the 260 oil pan and pick up work on the 5.0 (I would TIG in the low oil sender)?

Will the exhaust manifold fit the 5.0?

What other problems would I be looking at. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Kevin

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let's see-

Bolt up your 260 oil pan to the 302 and use the oil pick up from the 260. The exhaust manifolds from the 302(5.) won't work in the '64. They stick out to far from the heads. Use the 260 mainofolds or buy some type of headers. Tri-Y headers work well and give nice clearence. I THINK the intake will fit, but I am not sure.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet 66 Injected Cobra would have a lot of good tips for you.

--------------------
Support our troops!

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info, time to start colecting some parts. Who make a good harness? I have used painless for alot of chevy swaps but never for a ford. I have seen ron's but he is on the $$ side and it does'nt even come complete!

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a 93 H.O. into a 1963 ranchero which is 1" narrower. I had to install the top separate but it fit quite nicely. You will have no problem.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 260 has a 5 bolt bellhousing - you will need a 6 bolt bell if you are going to use the stock trans.
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Some one else told me that but I count 6 bolts on mine. two on top flat and two down each side? Did they make two versions?

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

just doubled checked and it does look like their is only one on the pass side, two on top and two down the drivers side. Does this sould right? If so how well do the AOD's fit? Or is it just the bell that needs to be changed on the c-4? That would be the cheapest way to go for now. I am just trying to get it running and driving well for as little as possible. I am only into the car for $500 and have the complete 5.0 engine sitting around as well (with all sensors and a high psi pump). Summit sells the main harness for $224 + $88 for the sensor harness and I have the injector harness as well as the whole stock harness and sensors. Car is complete and in pretty good shape, even has the working RALLY-PAC column guages.
Kevin

[ September 21, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can just change the bell on a C4 (I have one if you need it $20) I have seen the AOD swap done also - do an internet search, I think you can find some info. I also have an AOD (thanks to Jim [Big Grin] ) if you need that - PM me for a price.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
You can just change the bell on a C4 (I have one if you need it $20) I have seen the AOD swap done also - do an internet search, I think you can find some info. I also have an AOD (thanks to Jim [Big Grin] ) if you need that - PM me for a price.

Do I get any commission? [Wink]
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

you bet!!!
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

sent you a PM!

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

back at ya

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com